3–4 days per week at home
A little flex time
carwow is looking for a Software Engineer to join our Engineering team on a full time basis. We support either hybrid working or fully remote depending on your location within the UK.
Buying or selling a car shouldn’t be difficult! That’s why here at carwow we are on a mission to change the way people buy, sell or use a car by creating the world’s best online car marketplace. We're not all petrolheads - just a highly driven (excuse the pun) technology scale-up with close to 400 carwowers in the UK, Germany, Spain and Portugal, and backed by some of Europe’s leading VCs and automotive brands.
We are currently scaling fast and looking for Software Engineers to join our Engineering team working in either a hybrid or fully remote setup depending on your location.
Engineering at carwow
Our Platform needs to provide our customers with up-to-date offers from thousands of dealerships, buyers, and leasing partners in 3 countries handling up to 5 million unique visits per month.
We write our API’s and back-end services in Ruby on Rails, with Elm on the front-end, and use a modern CI/CD pipeline orchestrated in CircleCI with Terraforms to manage our infrastructure. We care about things like simplicity, automation, knowledge sharing, and people development and we’re focused on creating an inclusive environment where everyone feels welcome.
Our Engineering team is distributed across 4 countries working collaboratively to build, scale and maintain our platform. We grew to 9 squads in 2021 and this year we’re adding another 7 catering to a range of exciting developments in the pipeline.
What you’d be doing
You’d join one of our core Product squads responsible for designing and building the experiences that millions of customers and thousands of commercial partners interact with on a daily basis. Product squads are a curious bunch driven by a common goal of "how can we make it better" and a passion for creating products that improve people's lives.
Working closely with a Technical Lead and other Engineers you’d take part in delivering the squads roadmaps, seeing requirements through to production, and ensuring quality every step of the way. This includes;
- Having an impact on the product on a daily basis — pushing code to production within your first day
- Working in a truly data-driven environment. We verify our hypothesis through user research, A/B tests, live data analysis, etc.
- Championing the latest tools and technologies to solve challenging problems and scalability.
- Exposure to the entire product life-cycle, allowing you to develop skills outside of software engineering.
- Sharing your knowledge and experience with the rest of the team. We pride ourselves on a truly collaborative approach and a culture of open-mindedness where your opinions and insights will be heard.
- Growing in a supportive environment. We care about staff happiness; we'll make sure you have all the right support and work/life balance to enjoy your job.
You should apply if you enjoy;
- Developing in Ruby in Rails, or a similar a similar language like Python
- Writing clean, reusable, scalable code
- Working within a TDD environment
- Working on events based systems, for example Kafka
- Building performant application code, following industry best practises
- Learning new things i.e. functional programming, we use Elm
- Working in a truly supportive and collaborative environment, amongst agile teams delivering incredible results
Why it’s a good time to join
It’s an exciting time to join our Engineering team; we’ve recently released our 3 year business strategy and have a clear vision of what success looks like over the next few years. We’ve raised an additional £60m in funding to invest into our Sell Your Car product and have a number of interesting projects in the pipeline that will challenge and enhance your skills. We value staff development and have an excellent career framework that will help you grow and develop within the company whilst ensuring your rewarded well for your hard work.
- A competitive salary with equity in the company (share options)
- 25 days holiday, plus bank holidays and Christmas Eve or an alternative religious holiday of your choice*
- Life insurance (4 x basic salary)
- Private pension scheme (carwow will match contributions up to 5%)
- Private medical health insurance with Vitality
- Free access to Sanctus mental-health coaching sessions
- The latest core Tech (Macbook Air or PC Surface Pro)
- Home Office budget of £500/€550
- Salary sacrifice benefits (i.e. cycle to work), Travel Loan
- Subsidised gym membership (50% off David Lloyds, Virgin Active and Nuffield Health)
*if you are not religious, this day will remain as Christmas Eve in conjunction with usual Christmas Bank Holidays
We are leading the change to Electric vehicles and are conscious of the impact our industry can have on the environment. We’ve already planted over 45,000 trees to date as a thank you to those who leave us a review and are extremely excited about our new partnership with ‘One Tree Planted’, which we hope will increase the number to around 60,000 trees a year.