Core hours 11 - 3
*This role can be offered on a flexible hybrid basis from our Bristol HQ, or on a remote basis, anywhere in the UK*
We’re an award-winning tech business, recently named the Top UK SaaS Company to work for. Our UK HQ is located in Bristol, cited as being one of the fast growing technology hubs in the country.
Brightpearl is the number one digital operations platform (DOP) for brands and retailers. We manage everything ‘after the buy button’ so that our customers can focus on growing their business. “People First” is one of our core company values, so before we get too into your day to day, here’s a taster of what we bring to the table:
- The opportunity to work with talented people
- Have a voice and shape structure, team priorities and culture
- Flexible working and generous holiday allowances
And that’s not all. Check out our perks and benefits to see what else we offer!
About the Role
Brightpearl exists to automate retail. We manage over 10m transactions and $2bn of business a year with our cloud platform. We are looking for talented software engineers to join our polyglot teams in the UK.
About the team
Our products and services are designed, built and cared for by our engineering teams in Bristol. Each team owns a slice of the product portfolio in close collaboration with product managers. We believe in letting teams self-organise and self-determine by supporting them with design and project expertise when needed.
We use Java, Go, PHP, JS, TypeScript and SQL in a diverse suite of applications. Our service oriented architecture processes thousands of transactions an hour while maintaining high-availability and reliability. Our uniform deployment platform (Kubernetes on AWS supported by our global Infrastructure team) means that everyone gets hands-on experience with the full lifecycle of each product.
- Work in a small cross-functional team to deliver new features, improve existing features, prototype new applications, improve our SaaS infrastructure, develop in-house tools or integrate with partner services.
- Design, implement and test new components, products and integrations.
- Diagnose problems seen in production and advise on solutions.
- Work collaboratively with other engineers, system administrators, product managers, customers and partners.
- Share experience and guide more junior staff on technical tasks.
- Work in a virtualized environment using docker and Kubernetes to create, and manage the provisioning of the services.
- Develop expertise in diverse technical and business domains.
- Expand your knowledge of programming languages and technical stacks.
- Experience writing well-tested Java.
- Proven track record of writing well-tested, maintainable code and leading code and technical design reviews.
- BSc (or equivalent) in a technical subject (comp.sci./science/engineering)
- Integration experience with HTTP APIs (e.g. REST).
- Good understanding of relational databases and SQL.
- Experience tracking down bugs in a production environment.
- Experience developing concurrent and distributed applications.
- An attitude of continual improvement, lifelong learning and an interest in new technologies.
- Ability to work with a variety of languages and technologies day-to-day.
- Ability to assess the relative merits of different languages and technologies according to requirements.
- Motivation to create high quality products within the eCommerce domain.
- Good communication skills.
- Fluent in English.
- A good team player with experience of coaching more junior members of the team and capable of delivering excellent results under pressure and to strict deadlines.
- Ability to communicate effectively with colleagues and occasionally clients.
- Quality focused.
To be successful as a Software Engineer at Brightpearl, ideally you’ll have..
- Linux command line, basic administration and shell scripting.
- Background in high scale systems development.
- Experience with queuing technologies (e.g. RabbitMQ).
- Understanding of NoSQL stores (e.g. MongoDB, ElasticSearch).
- Understanding of performance tuning and optimisation.
- ELK / monitoring experience.
- Experience with docker and Kubernetes.
- Good understanding of web services and REST API design best practices.
- A robust understanding of automatic code testing and development in CI and CD contexts.
- Experience in refactoring and improving legacy platforms.
- You’ll be joining one of the top UK SaaS Companies based in central Bristol - named top city to live in
- We offer a competitive salary, stock options and a pension matching scheme
- 25 days of annual leave, plus long service awards and volunteering days to give back to the community
- We promote health and well-being through comprehensive medical, dental insurance packages with Vitality, Bupa and HealthShield and subsidised gym memberships
- We support work-life balance through flexi-time and working from home opportunities
- Opportunity to collaborate and share success through company wide socials and All Hands
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we collaborate and learn from each other is core to Brightpearl’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a supportive place to work.
**Please note, all applicants must possess the right to work in the UK**