Remote-first - With Office Locations
Fully flexible hours
Blood Cancer UK exists to fund research into beating blood cancer. In the past 60 years, we’ve invested more than £500 million into blood cancer research. This had led to improved treatments, and saved lives.
Despite this progress, people with blood cancer in Europe, and other similar countries, often live longer post-diagnosis than in the UK. We want to identify why this is the case and set out a vision, in a UK Blood Cancer Action Plan, for the future of blood cancer treatment which will ensure we perform at least as well as other nations. This Action Plan would serve as the guiding principles in our mission work the charity.
We’re looking for an experienced Programme Manager to lead this exciting new project, working 3-4 days per week on an 18 month contract. You must have a strong track record of delivering complex projects which are based on evidence, including the voice of people directly affected.
You will bring together a set of experts, healthcare professionals and people affected by blood cancer to develop this action plan. Your role as Programme Manager will be to start, lead, manage and complete the UK Blood Cancer Action Plan on behalf of the steering group. This varied role will include ensuring strong governance of the programme at every level, managing relationships, and communicating findings to the relevant and appropriate audiences.
- Leading the overall programme of work including:
- Convening and managing the steering group, including identifying a Chair
- Agreeing terms of reference with the steering group
- Working collaboratively with people affected by blood cancer throughout the process.
- Commissioning data and associated research.
- Managing the relationship with stakeholders including any external funders
- Ensuring the project delivers to time and to budget.
- Leading a Blood Cancer UK internal team to ensure their insight is consider
- Once the report is finalised, you will be responsible for planning and implementing a plan to ensure it is disseminated effectively across key opinion formers and decision makers. You will work closely with Blood Cancer UK colleagues to ensure the conclusions are brought into future thinking for the charity, particularly in relation to us meeting our vision.
· We anticipate that the steering group will include:
· people affected by blood cancer;
· leading healthcare professionals;
· charity representatives;
· Experts in
the development of and access to drugs and treatments;
novel and specialist therapies;
cancer data to undertake the task identified above;
how to achieve change in NHS policy and practice.
We expect this group to invite oral and written evidence, take specific account of the needs of children and young people, people from black, Asian and minority ethnic backgrounds and people from lower socio-economic groups. The Group will produce a set of impactful recommendations for the NHS, Government, healthcare professionals and cancer charities across the UK which can be implemented within definitive timescales.
THINGS WE ALL DO
• Promote Blood Cancer UK’s vision, mission and core values
• We’re all fundraisers. This is slightly different for all roles, and your team will have fundraising KPIs and objectives we all work to
• Attend and assist at Blood Cancer UK events and activities as required (NB this involves evening and weekend work)
• Be an effective ambassador for Blood Cancer UK at any activity you attend
• All staff are expected to adhere to Blood Cancer UK’s policies and procedures
• Do any other reasonable things your manager needs you to do
Skills Knowledge and Expertise
- Significant experience of delivering a complex policy report, preferably in a health or charity setting.
- Experience and understanding of health data.
- Ability to analyse and interpret evidence and ability to produce reports for external audience.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills for liaising with internal and external communities, including people affected by blood cancer, and committed to delivering an excellent, consistent and professional service