Our everyday digital experiences are in the midst of a realtime revolution. Whether attending an event in a virtual venue, receiving realtime financial information, or monitoring live car performance data – consumers simply expect realtime digital experiences as standard. Ably provides a suite of APIs to build, extend, and deliver powerful digital experiences in realtime for more than 265 million devices across 80 countries each month, supporting organizations like Toyota, Bloomberg and Hubspot.
Working at Ably means helping to build the infrastructure and technology that will power and shape the future of the internet. The opportunity in front of us is immense. But we can’t rest yet. And we’d like your help. As Ably enters its next stage of growth, we’re looking for talented and curious individuals to help us build and deliver the platform to power synchronized digital experiences in realtime for one billion devices every week by 2024.
In this role
As a Product Manager at Ably, you’ll lead a cross-functional team with colleagues from across the organisation to deliver headline features for Ably. You’ll be customer obsessed and market driven, using data and deep understanding of the problems we solve. You will be the expert in our market, our product, and, most importantly, our users. You will uncover the problems that we can solve for our customers and drive the team to quickly bring value to our users while maintaining the level of quality and reliability that our customers expect from Ably . You will also be responsible for the success of your part of the product, and will own the roadmap and strategy for it.
Day to day, you will:
- Own and drive the execution of cross functional Missions focused on how data synchronises between the backend to the front end, streaming in real time
- Partner with a Technical Lead to validate business opportunities and articulate potential solutions, sequences of work and measures of success
- Deliver empathetic developer experiences to problems understood through research, engagement with the developer community, and interviews with customers
- Promote solutions in the community through writing, presentations, deal support, and other advocacy
- Work with product marketing teams to deliver go-to-market plans for new products and features
- Define, monitor, and analyse product metrics, and feed learnings back into the development process
- Review, investigate, and understand feature requests to help the team prioritise their work backlogs
- Clearly communicate product plans, trade offs, and results to a wide range of audiences
- This is an individual contributor role. You will need to be able to influence your teammates, as well as colleagues, stakeholders, and key executives, through your use of data and logic
It’s important that you have:
- Extensive experience in a Product Management role at technology-focussed company
- Experience delivering solutions used by developers (e.g. SDKs, APIs or developer tooling) or other customers in the software development ecosystem (e.g. DevOps, APM, Cloud Infrastructure, etc.)
- Deep understanding of databases and APIs and how they fit in service-based cloud software architectures
- Knowledge of Backend as a Service (Baas) app development platforms that provide real time capabilities (e.g. Firebase, Supabase, AWS appsync)
- Experience delivering a developer focused, commercial product (IaaS, SaaS, Cloud API etc)
- Ability to clearly and concisely communicate your thoughts and ideas
It would be helpful if you have:
- Knowledge of the pub sub pattern and architectures involved
- Experience at early to mid-stage venture-backed startups
- Experience using storytelling to articulate value proposition
- Familiarity with Distributed Systems and event based architectures
- Familiarity with the the market of event streaming and data synchronisation tools and platforms (Kafka, Pulsar, AWS Kinesis)
What’s it like to work at Ably?
Ably is entering a new phase of growth led by an experienced senior team. You’ll be part of a successful, highly motivated, and extremely collaborative team. We want to work in a company of inclusive people who treat each other well.
To see what life’s like at Ably, check out our careers page at ably.com/careers and read the story of how Ably's core values came to be (ably.com/blog/ably-values).
Ably is a remote-first company and we strongly believe in life before work and encourage our people to find a balance between the two.
We recognize that each person is different and will want to be supported in different ways which is why our benefits (ably.com/ukbenefits) are there to help you focus on your needs today and prepare you for your future.
Amongst other things, we offer a generous holiday allowance, private healthcare and significant learning and development opportunities, and provide access to numerous wellbeing resources. We’re proud to do whatever it takes to care for Ablyans and their future.
Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging at Ably
We believe our differences as individuals is what makes us great. Our people are at the heart of what we do, and we encourage everyone to be their most authentic self at Ably: we see inclusivity and openness as fundamental to creating long-term success as an organization. We encourage applications from all backgrounds regardless of age, disability, gender, sexual orientation, parental status, race, religion, educational background or neurodiversity. Ably has an amazing opportunity ahead of us, and we want anyone to be able to contribute to that opportunity.
If you enjoy working as part of a technology company, value open source, and love solving hard problems - then we’d love to hear from you, regardless of whether you fit the job description exactly or not. If in doubt, drop us an email; we’d be more than happy to give you some advice on your application.
The FlexScore® is the result of a rigorous 2-step verification of a company’s flexibility
First we assess the flexibility options Ably provides and then we anonymously survey a statistically significant proportion of their employees to make sure Ably is as flexible as they say they are. Our assessment is based on the six key elements of flexibility: location, hours, autonomy, benefits, role modelling and work-life balance.
We ask the hard questions so you don’t have to.
Working at Ably
Gender diversity (male:female)
London, UK & Boston, Massachusetts
What employees are saying
"I just love how flexible everything is at Ably!"
Marketing Manager at Ably