Core hours 11 - 3
Our everyday digital experiences are in the midst of a realtime revolution. Whether attending an event in a virtual venue, receiving realtime financial information, or monitoring live car performance data – consumers simply expect realtime digital experiences as standard. Ably provides a suite of APIs to build, extend, and deliver powerful digital experiences in realtime for more than 265 million devices across 80 countries each month, supporting organizations like Toyota, Bloomberg, Hubspot and Split.
Working at Ably means helping to build the infrastructure and technology that will power and shape the future of the internet. The opportunity in front of us is immense. But we can’t rest yet. And we’d like your help. As Ably enters its next stage of growth, we’re looking for talented and curious individuals to help us build and deliver the platform to power synchronized digital experiences in realtime for one billion devices every week by 2024.
What’s it like to work at Ably?
Ably is entering a new phase of growth led by an experienced senior team. You’ll be part of a successful, highly motivated, and extremely collaborative team. We want to work in a company of inclusive people who treat each other well.
To see what life’s like at Ably, check out our careers page at ably.com/careers and read the story of how Ably's core values came to be.
Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging at Ably
We believe our differences as individuals is what makes us great. Our people are at the heart of what we do, and we encourage everyone to be their most authentic self at Ably: we see inclusivity and openness as fundamental to creating long-term success as an organization. We encourage applications from all backgrounds regardless of age, disability, gender, sexual orientation, parental status, race, religion, educational background or neurodiversity. Ably has an amazing opportunity ahead of us, and we want anyone to be able to contribute to that opportunity.
About the Developer Experience team
Ably’s Developer Experience function is part of our broader Product organization and consists of Developer Education and Developer Relations. Together, we strive to enable developers through award-winning educational content and intuitive developer experiences. We believe that collaboratively working with communities is the best way to build great developer products. If you share in our vision of enabling developers, then you'll love working at Ably.
About this role
Ably is an engineering company at its heart. Our audience ranges from software engineers to CIOs, and it’s our job to make sure the world knows about Ably.
As Head of Developer Education, you will own the strategic vision for developer education at Ably and build, support, and enable a diverse and empowered team to define and implement the tactics to achieve that vision. You’ll be accountable for Ably’s documentation, all other developer-focused education initiatives, and take an analytical approach to measuring the results of everything the team does.
Day to day you will
- Use a combination of experience and data to create and iterate on an evolving vision for Developer Education at Ably aligned with the company’s strategic objectives and developer experience best practices.
- Work with stakeholders across Ably and the Developer Education team to create repeatable and measurable processes that aide and improve the implementation of the education strategy.
- Hire, coach, collaborate, and manage a team of Technical Writers and Developer Educators.
- Be the champion of the team's efforts, both within the company and externally, to establish our reputation globally as a forward-thinking innovator in developer education.
We’d love to hear from you if you
- Have a proven track record of building empowered teams that educate developers.
- Have successfully managed a pool of contractors to help increase team bandwidth.
- Have experience of defining learning strategies across multiple mediums including official product documentation, blog posts, workshops, and video.
- Can demonstrate where you’ve used educational content as a developer acquisition tool in addition to supporting activation.
- Have previously worked in a hands-on role as a technical educator. Whether that’s within a software engineering, developer relations, or academic role.
- Understand how developer education naturally fits into the customer journey.
It would be nice, but not essential if you
- Have experience of working within a Product organization and are familiar with product development methodologies.
- Are highly creative - you look at our docs and can instantly think of 5 ways to use Ably in fun and educational ways.
What’s in it for you?
- A great company culture where every individual is valued and supported
- Share options. We believe that all Ablyans should share in our success and growth
- We’ll support your professional development with a £1000 annual learning budget and up to 10% learning and development time
- We’re remote first, so you can work flexibly in a way that fits your lifestyle. You’re also welcome to pop into our communal office space in Shoreditch, London if you want to collaborate in-person or socialise with the team.
- Fully-paid quarterly summits, where we take a few days to step back as a team and a company, to have some fun together and work on things we might not have time for day-to-day
- Your choice of high quality tech kit to work on
- Home workstation set up budget of £500, plus an annual top-up of £150
- Regular company away days and social events
- Weekly individual drinks and snacks budget
- Private healthcare, 24/7 Employee Assistance Programme and life assurance
- Access to private and confidential coaching with Sanctus
- A monthly wellbeing budget with Juno
- A matching pension contribution of 5%
- Life Assurance and Income Protection with Canada Life
- Financial Coaching with Octopus MoneyCoach
- A Cash Plan with SimplyHealth
- 27 days of paid annual leave plus a day off on your birthday (36 days including bank holidays)
- 10 days of paid sick leave (including mental health days) per year
- Dog friendly office for when you’re in the office!
If you enjoy working as part of a technology company, value open source, and love solving hard problems - then we’d love to hear from you, regardless of whether you fit the job description exactly or not. If in doubt, drop us an email; we’d be more than happy to give you some advice on your application.