Core hours 11 - 3
Our everyday digital experiences are in the midst of a realtime revolution. Whether attending an event in a virtual venue, receiving realtime financial information, or monitoring live car performance data – consumers simply expect realtime digital experiences as standard. Ably provides a suite of APIs to build, extend, and deliver powerful digital experiences in realtime for more than 265 million devices across 80 countries each month, supporting organizations like Toyota, Bloomberg, Hubspot and Split.
Working at Ably means helping to build the infrastructure and technology that will power and shape the future of the internet. The opportunity in front of us is immense. But we can’t rest yet. And we’d like your help. As Ably enters its next stage of growth, we’re looking for talented and curious individuals to help us build and deliver the platform to power synchronized digital experiences in realtime for one billion devices every week by 2024.
What’s it like to work at Ably?
Ably is entering a new phase of growth led by an experienced senior team. You’ll be part of a successful, highly motivated, and extremely collaborative team. We want to work in a company of inclusive people who treat each other well.
To see what life’s like at Ably, check out our careers page at ably.com/careers and read the story of how Ably's core values came to be.
Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging at Ably
We believe our differences as individuals is what makes us great. Our people are at the heart of what we do, and we encourage everyone to be their most authentic self at Ably: we see inclusivity and openness as fundamental to creating long-term success as an organization. We encourage applications from all backgrounds regardless of age, disability, gender, sexual orientation, parental status, race, religion, educational background or neurodiversity. Ably has an amazing opportunity ahead of us, and we want anyone to be able to contribute to that opportunity.
In this role
As a Product Manager at Ably, you’ll define and prioritize valuable customer problems, and deliver solutions to them atop our global infrastructure. You’ll lead a cross-functional Pod with colleagues from across the entire organization: engineering, marketing, developer relations, research and design, DevEd and others. You’ll be customer obsessed and market driven, using data and deep understanding of the problems we solve. The Product Manager role is open to both US and UK based candidates on a remote basis.
Day to day, you will:
- Own your Pod’s roadmap and drive its execution.
- Cultivate a deep knowledge of customer problems through research, engagement with the developer community, and interviews with customers and their advocates within Ably.
- Lead cross-functional teams in ideating solutions to those problems and validating potential solutions in a fast and lean way.
- Identify and implement metrics that provide evidence that we’ve solved the problem for our users.
- Promote the solutions within the company through interactions with go-to-market teams and others.
- Promote the solutions in the community through writing, presentations, deal support, and other advocacy.
- Help drive continuous improvement to the product management process through regular retrospectives and other team projects.
It’s important that you have:
- 5+ years of product management experience
- Experience delivering solutions used by developers (e.g. SDKs, APIs or developer tooling) or other customers in the software development ecosystem (e.g. DevOps, APM, Cloud Infrastructure, etc.)
- Experience building a commercial IaaS / PaaS / Cloud API product
- Knowledge of modern software development lifecycle process and methodologies
- Understanding of SDKs and APIs
It would be helpful if you have:
- Experience working with cross-functional teams (particularly with Agile Pod structure)
- Experience at early to mid-stage venture-backed startups
- Personal experience with software development, and are able to write code (in any modern language) to build prototypes that use our APIs and SDKs.
- Experience in projects that involve contractors or other third party contributors
What’s in it for you?
- A great company culture where every individual is valued and supported
- Share options. We believe that all Ablyans should share in our success and growth
- We’ll support your professional development with a £1000 annual learning budget and up to 10% learning and development time
- We’re remote first, so you can work flexibly in a way that fits your lifestyle. You’re also welcome to pop into our communal office space in Shoreditch, London if you want to collaborate in-person or socialise with the team.
- Fully-paid quarterly summits, where we take a few days to step back as a team and a company, to have some fun together and work on things we might not have time for day-to-day
- Your choice of high quality tech kit to work on
- Home workstation set up budget of £500, plus an annual top-up of £150
- Regular company away days and social events
- Weekly individual drinks and snacks budget
- Private healthcare, 24/7 Employee Assistance Programme and life assurance
- Access to private and confidential coaching with Sanctus
- A monthly wellbeing budget with Juno
- A matching pension contribution of 5%
- Life Assurance and Income Protection with Canada Life
- Financial Coaching with Octopus MoneyCoach
- A Cash Plan with SimplyHealth
- 27 days of paid annual leave plus a day off on your birthday (36 days including bank holidays)
- 10 days of paid sick leave (including mental health days) per year
- Dog friendly office for when you’re in the office!
If you enjoy working as part of a technology company, value open source, and love solving hard problems - then we’d love to hear from you, regardless of whether you fit the job description exactly or not. If in doubt, drop us an email; we’d be more than happy to give you some advice on your application.