Lead Engineer (PHP/Laravel) - 6 Month Contract
3-4 days per week at home
A little flex time
We are hiring a Lead Engineer (PHP/Laravel) (6 Month Contract) to join our talented engineering team. We’re enabling great businesses to succeed through equity crowdfunding, and as a Lead Engineer at Crowdcube, you have the opportunity to help define and shape that experience for entrepreneurs and investors alike.
Who we are:
As a leading European retail investment marketplace, Crowdcube raises finance for Europe's hottest high-growth businesses by giving investors the opportunity to back businesses they believe in. Having amassed an investor community of over 1 million people, which has funded over 1,000 businesses, Crowdcube was named the most active investor in private equity in 2020.
Crowdcube was inspired by an unshakable belief in entrepreneurs that dream big, push at the edges and want to make a difference. Our mission is to democratise investment, helping to fuel the next generation of business who want to leave a mark on the world.
Since founding in 2011, we’ve successfully funded over 1,000 campaigns with brands from across the globe, such as Monzo, Brewdog, Grind, Cowboy, Mintos and what3words.
What we stand for:
We believe in a culture of curiosity. We love new thinking and big ideas that question the status quo. We know success is rarely free; it’s hard-fought and a struggle that often requires grit, tenacity and hard work. We value the power of people and know that we’re stronger together. We adore ambition, whatever it may be, to make a difference, to have an impact.
We’re on the hunt for talented individuals with an entrepreneurial spirit. Are you with us?
What you will be doing:
To help us continue to scale and grow our business, we need to enable our team to deliver quickly and safely on our ambitious plans. You will be part of a team who sets out what we build and how, you will be influencing discussions around architecture, and will play a key part in conversations about the evolution of the platform.
Day to day you will:
You will be joining an agile team, our engineers work in small product focused teams where collaboration is key. You will add real value to our talented team if you are keen to share your knowledge, successes, and failures. We hire for good judgement and trust you to contribute to discussions. We want to build things simply and quickly, it's not about over engineering it! We're advocates of using the right tools for the right job.
Ideally you will:
- Be highly proficient in PHP (Laravel or Symfony) and ObjectOriented in general
- Have practical experience of API design, REST/RPC, and knowledge of OAuth2
- Have knowledge of message queues, RabbitMQ in particular
- Have a keen eye for testing, performance and clean code
- Have the ability to write clean (understandable), robust (reliable) and efficient (well-designed) code
- Recommend the best practices across the team for scalable delivery
Some of the things it would be nice to see:
- Startup experience
- Finance (equity/shares/share register) knowledge
- DevOps experience
- Payments/AML experience
- Are open-minded and comfortable questioning the status quo, coming up with new solutions and considerate of others
- Are a self-starter, proactive and well-versed in seeking out answers, keen to invest time into learning the product and understanding business context
- Work well in a team, you ask for help and are equally generous with your own time to share knowledge with others on the team.
- Approach problems in a logical, informed manner, enabling you to propose valid technical solutions to the difficulties proposed.
- Demonstrate a real interest in software engineering, new technologies and approaches
- Take ownership of your work and take pride in carrying out & contributing to a project from start to finish.
What we are offering:
- £350/£500 a day (inside IR35)
- Initial 6 month contract
Our interview process typically consists of an initial phone screen, an interview with the hiring manager and a task, followed by a final interview with other members of the team. There aren't any trick questions and the task will typically be based on a real scenario the team have worked on.
Our policy is to employ the best-qualified people and provide equal opportunity for the advancement of employees including promotion and training and not to discriminate against any person because of gender, race, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, religion, belief or disability.
We are a flexible workplace. Cuber Choice enables Cubers and future Cubers to do their best work, in whatever way is best for them and the business. We commit to treating all employees equally, whether they are home or office-based. We do not reward presenteeism but focus on impact. Employees may choose a different work schedule to meet personal or family needs. This includes early finishes, late starts, selecting your own working hours, and you may also choose to split your time between home and office.