Remote-first - London / Bristol Office Optional
Fully flexible hours
Life at Elvie - Meaningful work. Exceptional people
We're Elvie. We create smart products, new solutions, and a fair few taboo-busting conversations while we’re at it. Founded by Tania Boler in 2013, we develop extraordinary innovations designed to improve women’s lives. It's a fascinating and challenging area that requires us to solve problems that no one else has ever tackled before.
At Elvie, you’ll be surrounded by people who want to improve everything and everyone around them. People who are passionate about our mission. People who are driven to solve problems and constantly consider the best ways to improve the health and wellbeing of women.
Find out more about life at Elvie here.
We're deeply proud of our values, which are intrinsic to the way we behave every day. We take them seriously because we want our culture to thrive:
- We make an impact: We’re mission-driven and not afraid to break boundaries. We relentlessly focus on going the extra mile to solve problems.
- We’re fearless innovators: We are passionate, curious, and data-driven. We continuously embrace change and innovation.
- We’re in it together: we fail and learn fast — always as one team — and have fun along the way. We stay authentic and embrace our differences.
About the role:
Okay, we’ve waffled long enough. So let’s get to the good bit: You.
As Senior Design Engineer, your role sits within the New Product Development team; generating product concepts, and translating them through an iterative design process into well considered, user centric products. You will bring your prior experience of taking products through development to help and mentor other members of the team, whilst taking personal responsibility for the delivery of major assemblies or critical product features and technologies.
You will harness your passion for improving our customers' lives as part of a cross functional development team, working alongside some of the best designers, engineers, product managers, researchers, service and digital designers, and data scientists. You will also get involved in initiatives outside of your day-to-day role; contributing to, leading, or forming our best practice approach to areas including sustainability, inclusive design, innovation and other exciting initiatives.
You have been working within the Product Development industry for around 4+ years, perhaps within a few different roles, and have gained a broad range of experiences across the business. You understand the needs and challenges of Quality, Customer Care, Manufacturing and/or Operations because working with such groups represents a significant part of your professional experience. You are a “doer” at heart and are as happy when hacking together a prototype as you are when leading a development project.
You have experience with a variety of mass production processes for electro-mechanical consumer products. You succeed at resolving intricate product problems that are constrained by multiple factors, breaking them down into logical steps that form a clear path. You are keen to understand issues at a fundamental level, and enjoy seeing projects through from initiation to completion. You are mechanically inclined with an eye for elegant, usable and user centric products and are enthused by the idea of working in a company revolutionising product markets, and empowering women. You strive to empathise with the end user, and to put their needs at the centre of what you do.
Location: Hybrid working; a mix of working from our Bristol office & working remotely
Employment type: Permanent (please note, you must have the right to work in the UK)
What you’ll be doing
- Solving real world problems by generating and delivering product or technology concepts from paper to production, and every step in between.
- Use your experience and instinct to drive the best design decisions at all stages of the design process from root cause investigation, project scoping, basic concepts and proof of principle rigs through to production representative prototypes, engineering builds, mass production, ECO creation, cut in and post-market surveillance.
- Commission bespoke tests and related equipment to undertake a variety of product testing, analysis and reporting activities, as well as supporting end user trials.
- Apply your knowledge of production technology, materials and finishes to challenge constraints and push boundaries of current designs.
- Undertake design reviews and offer mentorship and guidance to less experienced team members.
- Develop, review and approve product documentation.
- Collaborate with a range of teams to develop game-changing products
- A Degree in Design Engineering, Product Design or similar.
- A level of experience you might achieve after around 4 years in the product development industry, and/or having taken a few products through a full development process, either in whole, or across multiple projects.
- Experience with consumer electro-mechanical, connected, or smart product development.
- Proven track record of solving complex product problems through root cause analysis, whilst also understanding the fundamental principles of the issue at hand.
- Appreciation for all stakeholders involved in product development.
- Demonstrable ability to empathise with end users to resolve conflicting technical and human factors.
- Experience of working with contract manufacturing (or a willingness to learn - some travel will be required).
- Proficient in 3D CAD (preferably Solidworks).
- Proven ability to manage medium sized assemblies.
- Hands-on experience of rapid and manual prototyping.
- Experience of DFM+A tools such as FMEA, Tolerance Analysis, GD&T.
- Effectively be able to work across multi-disciplinary teams with multiple decision makers.
- You are a self starter with great visual and excellent verbal communication skills.
- Experience of working in an ISO 13485, or similarly regulated product development environment.
- Experience in design, prototyping and manufacture of technical textile products, components or assemblies.
- Experience within Durable Infant, Juvenile, or Infant Container products.
- Comfortable with a rapidly changing set of priorities, identification and tackling of emerging risks.
- Practical day-to-day project management experience.
- General knowledge or experience with Six Sigma tools and related manufacturing methodologies.
We're on an exceptional journey. And we can offer you a genuinely purpose-led career with a culture built on trust, autonomy, and flexibility. In addition, we'll give you:
- Lots of flexibility: whether it’s working from home, doing the school run, or life admin, we understand that flexibility is essential, and we trust you to do the right thing for you and us
- Share options: we want everyone to have a stake in our success
- An annual discretionary bonus scheme
- 25 days’ annual leave, plus bank holidays
- 3 additional Elvie “in it together” bank holidays for 2022
- 8 extra life leave days; getting married, moving house, menopause or just things that you can’t put a label on that matter to you
- 5=10 leave: 10 days’ additional leave on your 5th and 10th years of service!
- £100 contribution to your home working set up to spend as you see fit
- An annual personal development allowance of £200 and unlimited access to our learning and development platform, Learnerbly
- Generous parental leave policies; maternity, paternity/partner, shared & adoption
- Healthcare plans, life insurance, and an employee assistance program for you and your family
- A tax-efficient group pension scheme
- Group income protection; protect your salary if you get sick
- A free Elvie trainer for you to keep or give away when you join
- Generous employee and friends & family discounts on Elvie products
- Wellbeing support from YuLife and access to SmartHealth app with unlimited GP appointments for you and your family, plus various well-being initiatives throughout the year
- Lovely offices in great locations, with drinks and snacks provided, along with fun social events
What you can expect after you’ve applied:
A member of our recruitment team will reach out to you after they have reviewed your application. You must ensure your application is completed correctly, and we strongly encourage you to add a cover letter or note to let us know why Elvie’s the right fit for you.
We would like to get to know you through your background, attitude, experience and understand your motivation to work with us. Our interview process varies depending on the position, but it typically looks like this:
- 20-minute video call with one of our recruiters
- 30-45 minute video call with the hiring manager
- 45-60 minute video interview with the team (some positions may require you to complete a task/presentation)
- For some positions, there may be an additional interview with one of senior our leadership team
This is undoubtedly a great time to join Elvie. You’ll have a voice, make an impact, and have the opportunity to mould your role. So be ready to learn, have fun, and be inspired by our passionate, talented team — and having a sense of humor helps too. 😉
We can’t wait to hear from you!