Fully flexible hours
At a Glance
Us: Fast growing startup of 80+ people. Remote team, mainly based in the UK. YC alumni (summer 2019). We’re on a mission to connect people around the world to make trustworthy data more accessible and facilitate world-changing research 🚀
You: A highly organised, proactive individual that is eager to learn and develop. Basic understanding of double entry bookkeeping and accrual accounting
Prolific is looking for an ambitious new finance team member to support our strong company growth.
This role brings an exciting opportunity to learn and grow with the company. The successful candidate will work directly with our finance team and help shape our finance function to support our next stage of growth.
The ideal candidate will be a team player who is keen to get stuck in. You'll be detail oriented and comfortable working proactively through recurring daily, weekly and monthly tasks, all the while knowing when to consult and ask for help.
Excellent communication and social skills are essential, especially when working with other teams in the business (including Support, HR and Operations) and responding to queries directly from our customers.
This is a perfect role for someone looking to kick start a career in accounting and finance and learn more about the startup ecosystem - if this sounds like your ideal role, please apply!
What you'll be doing
- Daily bank reconciliations in Xero, our accounting software
- Monitoring of the firstname.lastname@example.org mailbox
- Assisting with responses to user support tickets relating to invoicing and billing
- Collating and posting supplier invoices
- Reconciling customer payments within our admin interface
- Progress to assisting with some month end tasks including prepayments and accruals (with support/training from the team)
What you’ll bring
- Highly organised, detail oriented and happy to work proactively on recurring and ad hoc tasks
- Curiosity and a desire to learn more about accounting and finance as well as how our team supports the wider company goals
- Critical thinking and a questioning mindset to help identify misstatements and challenge the status quo
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong desire to work for an early-stage, fast-growing startup
- Literate in Microsoft Excel and/or google sheets
- Meet the requirements for the level 7 professional accountancy apprenticeship:
- 2 A levels A-E, plus 3 GCSE's grades 9-4/A*-C in 5 subjects including maths and english
- A citizen of a country within the European Economic Area (EEA**) or have the right of abode in the UK, and have been ordinarily resident in the EEA for at least the previous three years on the first day of learning
- Not enrolled on another apprenticeship
- Right to work in England
Even better if you have
- Basic understanding of double entry bookkeeping and accrual accounting
- Business/Accounting related degree or AAT qualification
- Interest in Behavioural Science, Psychology and/or scientific research and a desire to learn about the research space
- Understanding of SQL
What you’ll get
⚖️ Work Life Balance: We’re all looking to strike the right work-life balance, and as a remote-first company you’re able to work flexibly from home or our dog-friendly co-working space in Old Street. We offer 25 days of holiday, plus bank holidays of course, which you can opt out of if you’d like. We also offer summer hours, with early finish Fridays throughout June to August.
🏡 Family Life: We offer generous maternity, paternity and shared parental leave. Need to pick your child up from school? No Problem. Our flexible working gives you the childcare flexibility you need.
🧘 Wellbeing: We care deeply about our employee's well-being and that’s why we offer comprehensive Bupa private health insurance that disregards medical history and also Medicash (a health cash plan). We also offer a taxable monthly stipend of £150 that you can spend on whatever improves your wellness and remote working experience. Having a healthy working environment is really important to us and so we offer a £1,000 home office budget, along with a Mac laptop when you start - plus a £200 yearly top-up.
📚 Learn & Grow: Development is really important to us and we want to give all of our employees the opportunity to learn and grow. There are many personal growth and career progression opportunities available, as well as mentoring. And we also offer a £1,000 yearly budget for education, growth and training for you to use at your discretion.
💙 Culture: We’re a friendly bunch here at Prolific; open, transparent and inclusive. Although we’re a remote-first company, we still love to hang out with each other! We run collaborative quarterly company-wide meets up and team socials (both virtually and in-person) and it’s all paid for by us. Alongside this, we offer a £1,000 yearly team meet-up budget for discretionary meet-ups so that you can cover travel, food and accommodation. As a business we’re also committed to carbon offsetting; each month we donate money in your name to plant trees, and being remote we’re doing our bit to offset travel as well.
Our Interview Process
Talent Call: You'll meet with one of our Talent team and have an exploratory call about the role requirements, life at Prolific, as well as your background and aspirations.
Hiring Manager Interview: You'll interview with two members of the team, one of which will be the hiring manager. You'll have the opportunity to ask about the company and the role, and we'll ask you questions about your experiences and goals.
Panel Interview: We'll hold a panel interview that evaluates skills required for the role. You'll meet with more of our team and may be asked to complete a presentation or task. You'll be compensated with a £50 voucher 💰 for completing the task because we know your time is valuable!
Final Interview: We will deep dive into your past experiences, goals, motivations, and skills all aligned to our Prolific Principles. You'll speak with two to three members of the team and - as always - have an opportunity to ask questions about the role and company.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Monitoring
Prolific is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to fostering diversity, equity and inclusion in the workplace. We welcome all applications, and consider them without regard to race, religion, belief, age, gender, gender expression, gender identity, gender reassignment, disability, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity, sex or sexual orientation.
We are committed to ensuring a fair recruitment process, it's essential to our success. Under the Equality Act (2010) we collect information from individuals at the point of application. We anonymously monitor the profiles of individuals that apply to each vacancy to ensure that no individual is unfairly discriminated against or disadvantaged.