3-4 days per week at home
A little flex time
carwow is looking for an ESG Strategy Manager to join our Strategy team in London, Munich or Madrid, focused on developing and implementing carwow’s global ESG strategy.
Buying or selling a car shouldn’t be difficult! And it should be good for the planet. That’s why here at carwow we are on a mission to change the way people buy, sell or use a car by creating the world’s best online car marketplace. We're not all car enthusiasts - just a highly driven (excuse the pun) scale-up with over 380 carwowers in the UK, Germany, Spain and Portugal.
Since starting our journey in 2011, we’ve grown to become one of the most trusted online marketplaces with over 12 million users and a Trustpilot rating of 4.7. We are also very proud to be backed by some of Europe’s most respected technology, marketplace and automotive investors.
At carwow, we aim to create a culture where our team can thrive no matter where or how they work. With hybrid working (1-2 days in the office although more if you like), and a healthy home office budget of £500, we are also open to looking at alternative working patterns to ensure carwowers can work in a way that works best for them.
We’re also a curious bunch and benefit from a number of different training opportunities. We are big on celebrating successes, working collaboratively and have found lots of ways to stay connected as a team both virtually and in person.
With a team of over 25 different nationalities, we know a diverse and inclusive workforce creates a more innovative company. We have work to do to get us where we’d like to be, but are working hard to get there and have a number of key DE&I initiatives underway.
So, if you always aim to WOW through everything you do (check out more info about our values here), we’d love you to join us on our journey.
About the role
carwow’s goal is to help consumers navigate all aspects of the car buying & selling journey, whilst also being the most effective sales and marketing partner to car retailers and OEMs.
However, as a leading marketplace in our markets and with the largest automotive YouTube channel in the world, we have a huge potential to positively influence the automotive industry and drive it towards a more sustainable and equal place. Furthermore, ESG topics are rapidly growing in importance to our customers, commercial partners, investors and, importantly, to us, carwowers. We aspire to disrupt the automotive industry and make it more sustainable and equal.
To achieve our aspirations and guide carwow on this journey, we’re looking for a talented Sustainability / ESG (Environmental, Social and Governance) Strategy Manager to develop and implement carwow’s ESG strategy. There are two core parts to this role:
We are looking for a person with a passion for and rich experience managing ESG topics, and a readiness for making technology companies and the automotive industry more sustainable. Furthermore, this person should have depth of relevant expertise and experience developing and implementing an ESG strategy for a consumer-facing, fast-growing tech business.
Reporting to the Head of Strategy, you will work closely with internal teams such as those mentioned above, and external stakeholders (incl. current and prospective investors, commercial partners, media partners) to ensure that all stakeholders can contribute to the development and execution of carwow’s ESG strategy.
- Develop, communicate and deliver carwow’s core Global ESG Framework & Strategy, incl:
- Understanding and mapping stakeholder insight & expectations
- Conducting a materiality assessment
- Introducing and implementing a relevant ESG framework alongside developing and aligning relevant, meaningful and achievable targets
- Identifying and prioritising initiatives and forming an implementation roadmap
- Leading the implementation of the initiatives, working collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders
- Disclosing on ESG metrics and communicating carwow’s progress to relevant stakeholder groups and build recognition for carwow’s achievements
- Develop and implement a transformational impact strategy to catalyse the EV / ULEV automotive industry revolution, incl:
- Understanding industry specific stakeholder insight & expectations
- Researching, analysing and sizing industry / stakeholder barriers to progress
- Developing and communicating carwow’s impact vision & strategy, supported by a prioritised set of initiatives / solutions, to be led and implemented
- Demonstrated passion for, expertise on and experience across all ESG topics
- Experience developing an ESG strategy from scratch and implementing it successfully
- Exceptional communication & influencing skills, both verbal and written, that enable you to inspire others and deliver real impact
- Demonstrated ability to lead x-functional, strategic projects with senior stakeholders
- Creative and entrepreneurial mentality
- Self-starter, able to take full, independent ownership of their work
- Desired - German and / or Spanish language skills (English is required)
- Desired - ESG experience in the automotive sector
- A competitive salary with equity in the company (share options)
- 25 days holiday, plus bank holidays and Christmas Eve or an alternative religious holiday of your choice*
- Life insurance (4 x basic salary)
- Private pension scheme (carwow will match contributions up to 5%)
- Private medical health insurance with Vitality
- Free access to Sanctus mental-health coaching sessions
- The latest core Tech (Macbook Air or PC Surface Pro)
- Home Office budget of £500/€550
- Salary sacrifice benefits (i.e. cycle to work), Travel Loan
- Subsidised gym membership (50% off David Lloyds, Virgin Active and Nuffield Health)
*if you are not religious, this day will remain as Christmas Eve in conjunction with usual Christmas Bank Holidays
We are leading the change to Electric vehicles and are conscious of the impact our industry can have on the environment. We’ve already planted over 45,000 trees to date as a thank you to those who leave us a review and are extremely excited about our new partnership with ‘One Tree Planted’, which we hope will increase the number to around 60,000 trees a year.