Remote-first - We meet both in / out of the London office occasionally
Fully flexible hours
Who we are:
At TrueLayer, we’re building a global open banking platform that’s changing how money moves and so much more. We make payments and refunds instant, account data accessible and verification seamless — all so innovators in every industry can build better financial experiences for their users.
To date, we’ve raised $270 million from world-renowned investors including Stripe, Tiger Global, Addition and Tencent. We’ve got offices in London, Milan, Dublin and Sydney. And we’re trusted by industry leaders like Revolut, Cazoo and Trading 212… though we’re not stopping here.
Our vision is a financial system that works for everyone. To make that happen, we’re creating original and innovative products that will remove the friction from finance for good. We’re seriously scaling our infrastructure, we’re entering new territories all the time, we’re cornering a whole new category — and we’d like your help to get us there.
At TrueLayer, we want the financial system to work for everyone — so we've made it our mission to open up access and put fintech at people's fingertips.
The Open Banking Expansion group is responsible for the systems that power our global open banking payments platform. As we continue to expand we want to build solutions that provide the best possible experience for our customers in every country we enter. In addition to this we need to keep supporting existing and new customers, honouring our 99.95% availability SLA in the face of higher and higher request volumes.
It is an exciting and challenging journey - we are looking to hire you to help us along the way.
- We want to continuously iterate and improve our offering without compromising the stability or long-term maintainability of our systems.
- We serve millions of API requests with a 99.95% availability SLA. Our platform must remain a reliable foundation that our customers can build upon as we expand (new products, new geographies, more volume).
- We want TrueLayer to be an exceptional place to work. We want our processes and interactions to stay honest, genuine and human as the company grows.
- We want our engineers to grow with us. To have the opportunity, the guidance and the support to develop their technical and core skills to the fullest within the organisation.
- We want to reduce the coupling between our product teams, enabling fast iteration cycles.
As a Backend Engineer, you will:
- Help design, build and maintain TrueLayer’s API products and associated services, delivering features that impact thousands of users
- Be involved in writing services and tooling for other product engineering teams
- Build new product features, from breaking down requirements, to planning tasks, and shipping to production rapidly and regularly
- Help make our platform globally scalable, reliable and available
- Share knowledge and proactively identify process and tooling improvements, raising the bar for engineering across the organisation
- Contribute to our culture and help make sure TrueLayer remains an exceptional place to work
Voluntary On-Call Duty
While being on call is a fantastic learning experience, we understand being on call out of hours is not for everyone, so at TrueLayer it’s voluntary. If interested, you can train with, and join, our on-call rota, which will involve compensated rotations of:
- Being On-Call to respond to critical incidents affecting the availability of our platform
- Identifying, mitigating and resolving root causes of such incidents
- Coordinating our response to potentially major incidents, and being an active voice in postmortem/root cause analysis discussions to prevent future problems.
You’ll need to demonstrate:
- Experience with C#, especially .NET Core
- Understanding of SOLID and other common design patterns
- Familiarity of API design and experience with at least one web framework
- Understanding of Object–relational mapping technologies
- Appreciation of challenges surrounding microservices architecture
- Familiarity with testing best practices - TDD, Unit Testing and Integration Testing, etc.
- Experience with observability and alerting of mission-critical distributed systems
We’d be particularly excited if you have:
- A solid grasp of SQL and efficient use of caching
- Some exposure to no-SQL DBs
- Understanding of Protocol Buffers, gRPC, and message queue systems
- Experience working on high volume payments products
- A working understanding of basic k8s concepts
What you can expect from us:
- Competitive salary and meaningful equity in the company
- Flexible hours and hybrid working — work from home and our incredible offices in London Milan Sydney and Dublin
- A €200 remote-working budget to help you set up your home office
- Flexible holiday policy, with 24 days as standard
- Generous parental leave, above and beyond statutory requirements and with no minimum tenure
- 12 fully-paid wellbeing days a year (on top of the holiday allowance)
- Membership of mental wellbeing platform Spill
- €1,200 to spend on learning & development each year
- €600 per quarter (outside of required business travel) to visit our HQ London office
- Meal vouchers for every day you work, including days when you’re remote
- CCNL Commercio terziario e distribuzione servizi
About our hiring process
Our Hiring process typically consists of four stages:
At TrueLayer, we don’t just do inclusion and diversity. We embrace people that have different opinions, perspectives and personalities. Because we believe that by seeing the world from all sorts of angles, we can make life better for all the people who live in it. So we want you to know that the things that make you, you — like your age, ability, background and identity — are things that we celebrate and support. All we ask is that you believe in what you do (And know what an API is).