A little flex time
What We’re Looking For
We have a great opportunity for a technical writer to join our friendly, growing documentation team. You’ll be creating a wide range of online materials, including user guides, release notes and FAQs, to help our users and developers get the most out of our products. If you’re looking to increase your skillset and work with a range of cutting-edge technologies, then this is a role for you.
If you’re a technical writer looking for a chance to improve your skills, or you’re working in another area such as support, training or development and would like to make the move into technical writing, then this could be the chance you’re looking for.
You’ll be someone who can absorb technical information quickly and explain it in an easy-to-understand way. You should be able to demonstrate experience of creating online documentation and an understanding of how to present technical information in a variety of formats, including video. If you can read and understand code, then that would be an advantage, but if you’re keen to learn, we’ll help you expand your skills.
This is a role that requires a lot of collaboration- with product owners, developers, product marketing and other teams in the business. You should work well in a team and be comfortable taking your own initiative to find out information and get things done. You’ll be writing documentation that keeps in sync with product releases, so you must be able to work quickly, but still ensure the quality and accuracy of what you produce. We’re agile, so you must be prepared to respond quickly and adapt when things change- and they often do.
- Work with the product and development teams to plan a documentation schedule for upcoming features.
- Write release notes and guides to accompany each release and ensure the documentation is released at the same time as new features.
- Write end user documentation, including detailed how to guides, for new features aimed at users.
- Work with the rest of the team to create any in-product user engagements and videos required to support a product release.
- Regularly review existing product documentation to ensure that gaps in documentation are fixed.
- Collaborate with product marketing to ensure that the documentation, including the use of terminology, is consistent with marketing materials and the Amplience website
- Work with customers, developers and partners to understand their documentation needs.
- Update documentation as required from internal and customer feedback.
- Regularly review the information architecture of the documentation site to ensure information is easy to find and agree any changes necessary.
Skills Knowledge and Expertise
- Experience writing for documentation websites.
- Experience of creating documentation for a range of audiences, from end users to developers.
- The ability to absorb technical information quickly and to explain it in a clear, concise way.
- Ability to multi-task, context switch and manage own your work to deadline.
- Well organized with a high attention to detail.
Additional skills (good to have):
- The ability to read and understand code.
- Experience of writing API documentation and developer guides.
- Experience writing documentation for Software as a service (SaaS) products.
- Markdown. This is used with static site builder tools to build the documentation site. Markdown can be viewed and edited in most text editors.
- GitHub/ Bitbucket for documentation version control.
- Experience with Photoshop, PowerPoint and other tools for creating images would be useful.
So what’s in it for you? Aside from using some great technologies and working with smart friendly people who are very generous with their knowledge, we have a great set of benefits to recognise everybody’s individual needs.
- Freedom to work from home, with offices for when you want them
- Competitive salary
- Flexible working arrangements
- Discretionary bonus scheme
- Company pension scheme
- Employee share options so that everyone can benefit from our success
- Enhanced maternity & paternity policies
- Extra holidays once you’ve been with us for a while
- The option to purchase additional holidays
- Charity / volunteer days
- Life assurance policy
- Ride to work scheme
- Season ticket advance loans
- Study leave