3-4 days per week at home
A little flex time
carwow is looking for Senior Software Engineers (Ruby on Rails) to join the Engineering team in our Portuguese product centre of excellence working on a fully remote basis.
Buying or selling a car shouldn’t be difficult! That’s why here at carwow we are on a mission to change the way people buy, sell or use a car by creating the world’s best online car marketplace. We're not all petrolheads - just a highly driven (excuse the pun) scale-up with over 300 carwowers in the UK, Germany, Spain and Portugal .
Since starting our journey in 2011, we’ve grown to become one of the most trusted comparison sites with over 12 million users and a Trustpilot rating of 4.7. We are also very proud to be backed by some of Europe’s most respected technology, marketplace and automotive investors.
At carwow, we aim to create a culture where our team can thrive no matter where or how they work. With hybrid working (1-2 days in the office although more if you like), and a healthy home office budget of £500, we are also open to looking at alternative working patterns to ensure carwowers can work in a way that works best for them.
We’re also a curious bunch and benefit from a number of different training opportunities. We are big on celebrating successes, working collaboratively and have found lots of ways to stay connected as a team both virtually and in person.
With a team of over 25 different nationalities, we know a diverse and inclusive workforce creates a more innovative company. We have work to do to get us where we’d like to be, but are working hard to get there and have a number of key DE&I initiatives underway.
So, if you always aim to WOW through everything you do (check out more info about our values here), we’d love you to join us on our journey.
About the role
Senior engineers at carwow work on cross-functional product teams of product managers, engineers, designers and data analysts. You will work closely with Product Managers and Tech Leads on deciding what features to build for customers, break down and build features with the team, review code, mentor engineers, ensure operational excellence, and share knowledge broadly across the engineering organisation.
- Take part in scoping how new features can be built, and how customer needs can be met, while making pragmatic technical trade-offs.
- Write maintainable and performant code, with tests and documentation
- Collaborate with your team on getting things done. Share your progress, review each other’s code and help each other out with constructive feedback.
- Monitor and support your software in production by joining the on-call rotation and working to improve our site reliability
- Contribute to building roadmaps of experiments and initiatives to grow the paying customer base of carwow
- Contribute your expert opinion on the scope and feasibility of the initiatives your team considers.
- Help shape the technical strategy for our approach to experimentation in the product.
- Contribute to a diverse engineering culture based on customer-centricity, high-quality code, data-driven decisions, technical innovation and business impact.
- Develop and test product improvements that build customer growth
- Review code to ensure that the team is following conventions and standards that are defined at carwow.
- Collaborate with other engineers inside and outside of the team, helping them to do their best work and deliver projects according to our values and brand.
You may be just the right person if others have described you as…
- Technically experienced
Your previous experience:
Time spent in software engineering roles is of course important, but we prioritise attitude, aptitude, and the kind of impact you’ve had over years' experience.
- Have worked as a software engineer, ideally with Ruby on Rails.
- Have worked in a metrics-driven team, having a direct impact on the growth
- Are self-driven and take responsibility for product outcomes, doing whatever’s necessary to make things happen,
- Have designed backend systems and APIs to a high standard of security, reliability and operability OR have experience building end-end websites including working on the front end.
- Enjoy working in distributed teams and working cross-functionally with Product managers, designers, user researchers and other developers,
- Write code to be maintained – with good documentation, tests, and structure.
- Are keen to learn continuously, share knowledge, communicate effectively and build a product in close collaboration with others.
How we will measure your success:
- You’re delivering work that has measurable business impact and value to customers – early and often,
- You’re a self-sufficient member of our team, actively scoping work and driving projects forward,
- You’re fully engaged in the product development life cycle, helping to shape your team’s roadmap,
- You're mentoring engineers on your team, providing regular feedback through code reviews and conversations,
- You’re raising the bar for technical quality and sharing your expertise.
Please note: We know that no candidate will be the perfect match for all we've listed in this posting, so we’d encourage you to apply if you feel you're close to the brief but not an exact match.
- A competitive salary with equity in the company (share options)
- 25 days holiday, plus bank holidays and Christmas Eve or an alternative religious holiday of your choice*
- Private medical health insurance
- Free access to Sanctus mental-health coaching sessions
- The latest core Tech (Macbook Air or PC Surface Pro)
- Home Office budget of £500/€550
*if you are not religious, this day will remain as Christmas Eve in conjunction with usual Christmas Bank Holidays
We are leading the change to Electric vehicles and are conscious of the impact our industry can have on the environment. We’ve already planted over 45,000 trees to date as a thank you to those who leave us a review and are extremely excited about our new partnership with ‘One Tree Planted’, which we hope will increase the number to around 60,000 trees a year.