Texts are the fabric of the digital world. There’s so much information at our fingertips, but making sense of it efficiently is still very hard. Deepset's mission is to break this barrier and empower any developer to harness powerful NLP pipelines to efficiently access and comprehend any kind of data. Our open-source project Haystack is already used by industry leaders all around the world and we set out to become the semantic layer in every enterprise tech stack. In this position, you will lead our core engineering team and be responsible for steering our open source project Haystack. You will foster a high-quality software engineering culture in the team, do sparring sessions on major design decisions, and evaluate new trends in the NLP / Information Retrieval space so that Haystack users can always "consume latest NLP research for real-world use cases". You really master these three worlds: Software Engineering, Leadership, NLP. Nice side effects of working in open-source: you will see the direct impact of your work extremely fast, you are in constant exchange with a global community, and you leave a significant footprint in this world! In addition to the open source work, you work closely with our platform team to make sure the core components of Haystack fulfill the needs of our SaaS customers at enterprise scale.
Your Responsibilities • Lead a team of highly talented NLP and Software Engineers • Steer our open-source project Haystack • Coordinate major technical decisions and translate complex NLP into intuitive, scalable software • Foster the engineering culture in the team & mentor individual developers • Iterate on dev processes & tools • Identify & evaluate new ideas for the roadmap • Transfer big topics from the roadmap into clear issues • Coordinate with other teams (SaaS team, DevRel, Field Engineering, Documentation ...) Requirements • 5+ years experience of having worked in a related field • 2+ years experience in leading a tech team • Expert in Python & excellent Software Engineering Skills • Excellent knowledge of databases and the design of developer-friendly APIs • Good knowledge of NLP and transformers • You have seen various engineering cultures, teams, and processes and understand the pros and cons of different processes/methods • Ability to translate complex problems into simple words and a passion for helping your team members • Pragmatism, sense of responsibility, and the ambition to go the extra mile • Bonus: Experience in leading an open source project
- Latest NLP: deepset is at the forefront of NLP, we are on our way to become a standard for neural search. Work with tech experts and shape the NLP space together with us.
- Flexible: At deepset, we all treasure the remote-first nature of the company. It's a big milestone for us today to be recognized and accredited by Flexa Careers as being very flexible to employees :)
- Remote-first: We are building a remote-first organization. You can choose to work from home or any other place. We offer a home office budget for equipment and furniture, and we would be happy to sponsor a co-working spot.
- Choose your tech: Linux, Windows, or macOS? Laptop or PC? The choice is yours and we will provide what you need.
- Re:base: Once every few months we meet in person. We believe it's great to still see each other occasionally IRL. We discuss things, we do mini-workshops, we brainstorm, we have lunches together, and we have fun. We cover travel expenses for sure.
- You are an owner: We offer every employee an opportunity to own part of the company, you will be enrolled in the employee stock option plan.
- No AI hype: Work on real-world cases with realistic expectations about NLP capabilities.
- Fast-paced: Fast path to decisions and actions. A great deal of responsibility and immediate impact (no legacy).
- Recharge: We all need time to recharge every now and then - or to travel the word - you will get 27 days of paid holidays.
- Grow: Focus on professional growth, we have a budget for learning and further development of skills, possibility to speak at conferences, monthly internal hacky Fridays.