A little flex time
At Capdesk, we’re about to rewrite the history books on how companies use equity to empower their people. By unlocking the power of equity, we can change finance for good.
With equity made more accessible, businesses can unite employees, owners and investors through shared success. It might sound revolutionary, but it shouldn’t. It’s about time.
In the last few years, we’ve quietly become a leader in our field, providing the easiest way for private companies to digitise their equity information and manage and issue employee equity schemes. There are no longer any excuses for denying employees a share of the wealth they helped to create.
We recently launched a first-of-its-kind secondaries market to take our mission even further. Now, employees can turn vested shares into equity as and when it suits them – no more waiting for the company to IPO.
Employee equity schemes have been broken for too long; it’s time to create a world where everyone can be a stakeholder.
Capdesk is remote-friendly, but more importantly team-first. We have amazing people all over the world but most of the team is split between Copenhagen and London where we still have brick-and-mortar offices. Applicants are welcome from every time zone within UTC -5 and +2.
We’re a lean team, so every hire is significant to us. We’re looking for each newcomer to strengthen our mission, our team and our culture – and challenge us to get better.
We completed an £8m Series A in March 2021, and we have over 1000 of Europe's startups and scale-ups using our software. We’re gearing up to go further, across Europe and beyond. That’s where you come in.
About the role
We are well-established in the UK and the Nordics, and expanding into the rest of Europe. Our equity management (EM) product has traction (customers and presence) in several markets across Europe including Germany, the Netherlands, France, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland. Over the next 1-2 years, we want to consolidate our leading position in Europe by successfully establishing ourselves across all major new markets in Europe. Our EM product currently serves the growth companies and their employees, enabling equity management and online transactions.
To build out our equity vision, we want to also build out the VC investor side with a VC experience that is valuable to VCs in itself, but will also help fuel growth in our EM customer base and enable yet more equity transactions to materialize - or move from spreadsheets and papers to our digital solution.
As our VC Commercial Lead, you will spearhead our VC track and be responsible for building the team you need to deliver the vision. You will work closely with the senior leadership team, join the commercial leadership team and lead your VCs team day-to-day. You will report to and will work directly with the COO, and work closely with COO and CPTO to set and reach our VC goals across product and commercial.
The primary initial focus for the VC Commercial Lead is to help shape our VC product vision and to form the VC business model. Meanwhile you will prove initial outbound traction (we already have inbound traction). You will then help us establish the VC track as a product line in its own right with separate commercial goals and budget you will control. You will lead the VC team and set the commercial course and make prioritizations across commercial strategies. The long-term vision is that VCs engagement can lead to product-led growth of our equity management product. You will collaborate with the product team to evolve product vision and strategy and constantly update tactics. Your role will be broad and “founder-like”, so you will unfazedly deliver across a broad range of functions.
Your prior experience in the investment / VC space enables you to quickly grasp the product domain and commercial dynamics at play and to qualify strategic and tactical opportunities with authority.
In this role, your responsibilities will include:
- Lead the VC track. This includes negotiating and running its budget and developing and maintaining the VC business model, the VC product vision and the commercial strategy.
- Work with the VC team to achieve VC track business objectives.
- Achieve commercial VC targets. There will be short-term objectives and longer-term objectives, and you will need to balance trade-offs in the pursuit of attainment.
- Help build out the VC team (currently one product manager and a product designer - we expect to add 2 engineers in 2022) with support from and in collaboration with the wider Capdesk organization.
Our ideal candidate has:
- At least five year of generally relevant work experience
- Significant experience with Sales and working with or for VCs
- Excellent leadership, entrepreneurial and commercial skills
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills. You can set a clear direction, report status, work constructively, and are comfortable being radically honest with those around you, including leadership.
Bonus points for:
- Having started own business or lead innovative business units / initiatives / projects before
- Experience as a people manager or team lead
- Deep experience working with modern product teams
To succeed in this role, your character matters just as much as your technical skills. Does this sound like you?
- You are ambitious and proactive
- You love results
- You are obsessed with learning new things and challenging yourself
- You see every mistake as an opportunity to grow
- You’re a naturally thoughtful and considerate person
The fine print
What we can offer you:
- Base salary of £70k (if you are UK-based) and an attractive equity package
- Transparent equity ownership. We practise what we preach – everyone shares in the profits and wealth at Capdesk
- 25 days holiday per year (increasing by 1 day every year up to 5 days), plus national holidays
- Mental health and wellbeing support as well as access to therapists with Spill
- Enhanced parental leave - 26 weeks maternity, 17 weeks paternity (also includes adoption) and in the unfortunate circumstance we also offer miscarriage leave
- You get your very own Pleo company credit card, so no more expenses hassle
- Semi annual company trips (ask a Capdesker about our #supersocials) and quarterly kick offs
- Onboarding budget of £2,500 to spend on equipment you need so you can work to the best of your abilities
Want to know what other people think of Capdesk?
- Hear from our current and past hires on Glassdoor
- Hear from some of our customers on Capterra
- London's Top 50 startups to work for 2021
- London's Top 50 fastest-growing companies 2021
Capdesk is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment regardless of race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.