1-2 days per week at home
A little flex time
Our software engineering team is expanding…
These roles are super flexible on location - but we’d love for you to come into either our Bristol or London office once a week / once a fortnight to work alongside the team.
Life at Elvie - Meaningful work. Exceptional people
We develop smarter technology for women and are committed to building extraordinary products that improve women’s lives. It's a fascinating and challenging area to be addressing as it requires all our employees to stretch themselves and solve problems that no-one's tackled before. That's why we are looking for skilled, curious individuals who want to grow by surrounding themselves with a diverse array of outstanding people.
Our first product, Elvie Trainer, is an award-winning app-connected trainer that helps women strengthen the pelvic floor via fun, five-minute workouts. It took the wellness industry by storm and is now available via the NHS Supply Chain. Our street cred includes more than 12 awards for innovation and design, including the prestigious Red Dot Award and an IDA Design Award.
Our second innovation: Elvie Pump, the world’s first silent wearable breast pump, is making it possible for new mothers to pump anytime, anywhere. Elvie Pump has received international praise, including being listed as one of Times 100 best inventions in 2019 and ‘wearable design of the design of the year’ at the Dezeen Awards.
As a business, Elvie has received more than 30 awards, including being named as one of 15 startups “To Watch” by The Sunday Times, ranked as the 6th fastest growing business in the UK by SyndicateRoom in 2019. Tania Boler has recently been rated as the 8th most influential person shaping british technology in 2019 by Business Insider and both products have been featured in the Oscar Nominee Gift Bags.
In April 2019, Elvie announced a $42 million Series B from IPGL, Octopus Ventures and Impact Ventures, bringing the total raised thus far to over $50 million. Our Series B represented the largest ever fundraise in Femtech. This new round of financing will accelerate Elvie’s research and development efforts, as well as help grow brand awareness and distribution.We currently have offices in London, Shanghai and New York and planning to open a new R&D facility in Bristol in early 2020, while growing our Headquarter in London.
What does it mean to work at Elvie?
We work collaboratively at the forefront of the growing Femtech industry with our innovative tech-focused products. You are surrounded by people who want to improve everything and everyone around them, and are passionate about our mission. We’re driven by the fulfilment of solving hard problems are constantly considering our users and the positive impact we can have on their health and wellbeing.
We're deeply proud of our values, which are intrinsic to the way we behave every day. We take them seriously because we want our culture to thrive.
- We make an impact - we are mission driven and not afraid to break boundaries. We relentlessly focus on going the extra mile to solve problems
- We are fearless innovators - we are passionate, curious and data-driven. We continuously embrace change and innovation
- We are in it together - we fail and learn fast, always as one team, and have fun along the way. We stay authentic and embrace our differences
Who you are
- You’re a developer with at least 5 years of commercial experience
- You've mastered the basics and are looking to develop your skills further as part of an experienced in-house development team.
- You have a genuine enthusiasm for software engineering and you get a kick out of seeing other developers enjoy it too
- You want to do your best work and keep on honing your skills
- The idea of working within a successful, high growth startup in a fast-paced role excites you
What you'll be doing
Develop web based systems
- You’ll be developing functionality for our product websites, administration systems and our e-commerce capabilities, using modern frameworks
- Developing and maintaining integrations with third-party systems for payment, fulfilment, ERP and CRM systems
Connected product development
- Development of our API used by our connected products
- You will have the chance to work on a variety of innovative projects, using advanced process, tools and techniques
- You will be working in an environment where developing first-class solutions in an enjoyable atmosphere is the goal
- At least 5 years of commercial experience as a software engineer or equivalent
- Solid knowledge of PHP7+ and OO programming concepts and patterns
- Strong experience with Laravel and Laravel Nova
- Good understanding of HTML5, CSS
- Familiarity with version control systems and workflows (preferably Git)
- Experience in designing and maintaining relational databases (preferably MySQL)
- Experience of test driven development primarily unit testing (preferably PHPUnit)
- Strong communication skills and critical thinking ability - you can make a strong case and defend it well, but you're open to other ideas
- Strong desire to learn
Other skills and experience you might have
- A degree in computer science or equivalent is a plus
- An eye for user behaviour and design
- Experience of Ruby and/or Python
- Experience building RESTful API clients
- Experience building, designing and testing RESTful APIs
- Comfortable on the command line of Unix/Linux boxes
- Experience of NoSQL and time series databases
- Understanding of agile methodologies (particularly SCRUM)
- Experience of working in cross functional teams
Please note: you must have the right to work in the UK to be considered for this role
We are looking after you. As well as the chance to develop products with real work impact and working with dedicated and passionate colleagues, our benefits have flexibility and wellbeing in mind with:
- Great work environment - regular company socials, free daily snacks
- Flexible work environment built on trust and autonomy
- Enjoy employee / friends & family discounts on Elvie products
- Generous employee referral program
- Cycle Scheme & Tech Scheme
- A tax-efficient group pension scheme with SmartPension
- Life Insurance with Yulife
- Medical, Dental & Optical cash-plan with WPA
- Employee Assistance Program for you and your family
- YuLife Well-being app & access to SmartHealth app with unlimited GP appointments for you and your family, plus various well-being initiatives throughout the year