1-2 days per week at home
A little flex time
We are looking for a Mid Front-end Engineer to join our team.
🏡 Location - London HQ - Hybrid working as standard OR Remote role (UK based only) OR Fully office based if you prefer! The choice is yours...About the role
Our mission is to provide the best-renting experience in the world and you'll play a key part in helping us achieve this by making sure our platforms are best in class.
No two days are ever the same at Goodlord so what you’ll be up to will vary. The pace we move at also means priorities will change and you’ll need to be comfortable with this (we’ll support you!). But these are the things that will be core to your role and will keep you busy.
- Work with product managers, designers, business colleagues, and other engineers to understand end-user problems and implement appropriate solutions
- Assist your squad by delivering features and with them
- Use your knowledge of React and Typescript to continuously identify areas of improvement and propose fixes
- Review the code of your colleagues
- Offer to mentor to less experienced developers
- Expand our library of reusable components
- Continuously develop your skillset via tailored professional development objectives and budget
💻 The tech we use
The application comprises a PHP (7.4) app that communicates with a number of internal (Scala) and third-party services via HTTP.
Our UI is a mixture of jQuery and React (using Typescript) and we’re actively pushing to have everything in React.
The app and all services are deployed in Docker containers running in a Kubernetes cluster on AWS.
We use Github for version control and Circle CI for building, testing and deploying code to the staging and production environments. All data is persisted in an MYSQL (AWS Aurora) database.
About the team that drives our platform
We're a PropTech scale-up that have created a revolutionary, cloud-based software platform to bring together agents, landlords, and tenants online and process all the paperwork electronically.
Our small, self-organising squads build the platforms and tools to help us achieve our mission. We're disrupting an industry, so there's plenty of thorny, real-world problems to solve on behalf of the agents, landlords, and tenants that use our system.
If you want to develop new skills, there'll be plenty of opportunities: many of our current team joined as back-end or front-end developers, and are now working across the full stack.
We are keen advocates of agile delivery; we work closely with our stakeholders and use Kanban to iterate quickly on customer feedback. You'll be learning every day, from the team around you and senior members of the team to who you'll have daily exposure to.
Visit our careers in tech page to find out more about the team and the way we work.
What we need from you:
- Significant experience building web-based applications using ES6+ and React.
- Proficient with basic programming concepts and competent with the more advanced ones.
- Proficient at writing automated tests using frameworks such as Jest, React Testing Library, or Cypress.
- Strong knowledge of web application security and how to guard against common vulnerabilities.
- Confident at debugging issues in local and production environments and across system boundaries.
- Strong communication skills not only for developers but other audiences
- Focused on providing value, solving end-user problems, and having a real impact on the organization.
- Biased towards collaboration.
- Open to learning new languages, technologies, and ways of working.
Goodlord is for you if:
- You want to work in an environment where your input is valued and you can make a real impact
- You’re a pragmatic craftsperson who strives to find the right balance between quality and delivery
- You have a passion for solving end user problems, big or small
- You understand the challenges and rewards that come with working in a startup environment and look forward to taking them on
We started Goodlord because we wanted to make renting simple and transparent for everyone involved: the agent, landlord, and tenant. We knew generation rent would lead to more tenants, with higher digital expectations and we were confident we could provide a solution.
And we did. Like all high-growth companies, it’s been a bit of a roller coaster journey, but we’re now stronger than ever, with over 1000 happy customers and exciting new products. We have ambitious plans but with William Reeve at the helm alongside co-founder Tom Mundy and a brilliant team of over 200 talented Goodlordians, we are confident we’ll achieve these.
Our values guide our decisions, the way we work, our culture, and the people we ask to join the team. We work hard, have fun and support each other. We’re not afraid to make mistakes (we’d never learn if we didn’t) and we’re always looking to challenge ourselves. Our style is a collaboration based on honesty, friendship, and respect.
And the past year we’re proud to have been recognised as a Great Place to work. No one likes a show-off, but we can’t not shout about this. We’ve worked hard to make Goodlord great, and it’s important you know this isn’t just words on paper; Goodlordians have validated this which has led to us being accredited:
- 9th in Deloitte’s UK Technology Fast 50
- 20th Great Place to Work in the UK medium-sized businesses
- 11th in the UK for great medium-sized workplaces for tech
- 12th in the UK for great medium-sized workplaces for women
- Excellence in wellbeing for our dedication to goodlordian’s wellbeing
- Verified by Flexa as a Flexified employer
It’s an exciting time here at Goodlord. If you’re inspired by what we’re doing, are up for a challenge, and share our values, we’d love to hear from you.
Why you'll love being a Goodlordian
Aside from the role, the people, our culture and our mission, we have some other things that make Goodlord a pretty awesome place to be. Here are a few favourites amongst Goodlordians (check out our careers page for more info).
- 🚀 Grow with Goodlord: your development is important to us. Have a goal in mind? Share it with us and you can use your £1000 annual development fund to support it. We guarantee you’ll learn loads and develop both personally and professionally at Goodlord too!
- 💕 Your well-being matters: bi-weekly coaching with Sanctus to provide Goodlordians with a safe place to talk and support your mental health
- 🌴 Unlimited holiday and flexible time off: we encourage Goodlordians to make use of their unlimited time off to enjoy the world, recharge and reboot. We also offer time off for volunteering and training, so you can give back to the community and pursue your passions
- 🤗 Supporting your family: we offer Goodlordians of all genders a generous 3 months of fully-paid time off to look after their new arrivals
- 💰 Saving you money: access to thousands of discounts (cinema, travel, retail to name a few)
- 🤩 Our team: we’re an energetic, sociable and talented bunch who are super passionate about what we do and determined to make a difference. We’re all in it together, we learn from each other, we’re genuine and we don’t have time for politics
Goodlord wants applicants from all backgrounds and walks of life, we are an equal opportunity employer committed to creating an inclusive environment.
In fact one of our core values is Bring our whole selves to work which is really important to us, if there is anything you need to participate fully in the interview process we'd like to hear about that too, please just include it in your application. Come join us!
Unfortunately, Sponsorship is not available for this role.
Strictly NO Agencies
We reserve the right to close this role if we receive a high volume of suitable applications.
** Please note, as we are regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, all Goodlordians are required to pass a thorough referencing check via Experian before joining the team. We will only ask for references at the point of making an offer **