1-2 days per week at home
A little flex time
At TrueLayer, we want the financial system to work for everyone — so we've made it our mission to open up access and put fintech at people's fingertips.
Our Engineering organization has grown substantially over the past 12 months - our tools and processes must now rise up to the challenge.
We launched a new team, Engineering Ops, focused on the ergonomics and effectiveness of our platform. The mission is broad: boost the impact that every single engineer can have at TrueLayer.
We’re looking for an Engineering Manager who cares deeply about nurturing, coaching and mentoring technical teams. Guided by our Engineering Principles, you’ll help the Engineering Ops team to drive technical initiatives across the entire Engineering organization. As an Engineering Manager, you’ll also have direct impact on hiring the right talent as we scale. Finally, you’ll be a true leader in the business who will both partner with and challenge your peers across Product and Engineering.
- We want to continuously iterate and improve our offering without compromising the stability or long-term maintainability of our systems.
- We serve millions of API requests with a 99.5% availability SLA. Our platform must remain a reliable foundation that our customers can build upon as we expand (new products, new geographies, more volume).
- We want TrueLayer to be an exceptional place to work. We want our processes and interactions to stay honest, genuine and human as the company grows.
- We want our engineers to grow with us. To have the opportunity, the guidance and the support to develop their technical and core skills to the fullest within the organisation.
What we expect from you, as an Engineering Manager:
- Line manage, coach and support the engineers within your group. You will care deeply about helping your team develop, growing their skillsets and ensuring their continued career progression.
- Work with our Talent team to identify, attract and hire the best engineering talent. As we continue to go through an incredible period of growth, you will play a major role in selecting, onboarding and developing new talent, whilst also contributing to a great engineering culture.
- Partner with Principal Engineers, Infrastructure and Security to help design and execute the Engineering Ops roadmap factoring in both product and engineering objectives.
- Support the delivery of complex projects, providing strategic advice and facilitating the collaboration of multiple teams, communicating outcomes to relevant stakeholders.
- Be responsible for driving great execution, increasing the effectiveness of delivery teams by implementing appropriate processes, setting expectations, managing risks and resourcing.
- Promote ownership and accountability, learning and teaching, and driving our Engineering Principles helping to develop a culture of excellence and wellbeing.
- Be accountable for the operational health of the product group, using data to drive improvements, ensuring our products are delivered and supported to a high standard.
- Help scale new and existing teams, in multiple locations, establishing goals and defining and owning success KPIs.
What you can expect from us
- Competitive salary and meaningful equity in the company 💰
- Flexible hours and hybrid working — work from home🏡 and our incredible offices in London 🇬🇧 Milan 🇮🇹 Sydney 🇦🇺 and Dublin 🇮🇪
- A remote-working budget to help set up your home office 💺
- Flexible holiday policy, with 24 days as standard ✈️
- Generous parental leave, above and beyond statutory requirements and with no minimum tenure 👩👩👦
- Enhanced pension contribution at 4% & 4% 👵🏽 👴🏽
- Private Health Insurance from the day you start 🧑🏽⚕️
- 12 fully-paid Wellbeing Days a year (on top of the holiday allowance) 🕊️
- Membership of mental wellbeing platform Spill 🧘🏽♀️
- £1,000 to spend on learning & development each year 📚
- £500 per quarter (outside of required business travel) to visit our hub cities around the world 🌎
£105,000/yr - £125,000/yr + Equity
- Experience leading, scaling and growing productive engineering teams
- Significant past hands-on experience as an Engineer - building, operating and scaling software in a product-centric, agile environment
- A solid understanding of the software development lifecycle, best practices and design philosophies
- Experience with tools and modern practices to achieve operational excellence in a cloud-based microservice architecture at scale (>150 engineers, >150 microservices)
- A good understanding of Cloud Infrastructure and implementation patterns
- The ability to thrive on a high level of autonomy and responsibility
- Build consensus around your ideas and convey information effectively
- A leadership philosophy grounded in leading by example and empowering others
We’d be particularly excited if you have:
- Experience in launching and managing overseas or remote engineering teams
- Experience with mission-critical systems
- Exposure to Kubernetes and the broader Cloud-native ecosystem
Inclusion & Diversity
At TrueLayer, we embrace people that have different perspectives and personalities. We believe that by seeing the world from all sorts of angles, we can make life better for all the people who live in it. So we want you to know that the things that make you, you — like your age, background and identity — are things that we celebrate and support. All we ask is that you believe in what you do.
About our hiring process