More than 2 days at home per week
At Signal AI, we want to help organisations identify risks and opportunities and see movements in the market before anyone else. We want to help leaders take bold decisions, safe that the data is on their side. We want to connect all those external data points together, uncover the unknown unknowns, and be at the very heart of the knowledge economy.
We’ve already built a world-class artificial intelligence platform for real-time information aggregation and analysis at a massive scale. We proved our value with monitoring and measurement products in the PR&Comms space, and are now joining the dots beyond.
We are friendly and informal people who are passionate about our brand as we all have a stake in our success. We have an inclusive environment, welcoming the skills and experience from many diverse backgrounds, and together we have created who we are and what we sell. We are proud of our achievements and continue to strive for the unknown.
Our total funding to date is around $50 million. In the latest funding round, Redline Capital joined our investor group that includes MMC Ventures, GMG Ventures and Hearst Ventures.
About the role- Who are you?
We’re looking for a Data Visualization Journalist/Analyst to help drive insights and stories from our platform data. You’ll be reporting to the Global Head of Communications as part of the marketing team and will also work closely with the data and new markets teams.
You will be part strategic analyst, working as part of the team drawing up category-defining reports, industry-leading indexes, and part data visualization journalist, driving and reacting to the UK and US news agenda. You will help to furnish news editors (often media editors) with timely media insight and the kind of data that can illuminate unexpected patterns and surface intriguing data-led stories.
Working as part of the team driving thought leadership at one of the UK’s fastest-growing AI companies, you have an interest in the future of AI, a passion for data, and an enthusiasm for the kinds of stories we could tell with our data. You will also work closely with the data and new markets team to gain access to the information you need to uncover the stories we could tell.
You are a self-starter with plenty of creativity and tenacity. You love and understand the world of data and also have a passion for unearthing and telling the stories it contains in a relatable, and visual way. You enjoy working out how to best visualize the story and will know of and be inspired by the best data visualized in the business. You also have an appreciation of the editorial that drives news cycles, the demands on journalists, and the way a newsroom works.
The day to day responsibilities - What will you be doing?
- Work with the Global Head of Communications, our comms agency, the marketing team, data/new markets teams to find and visualize the stories in our data through the written word, charts, maps and infographics with the support of our branding colleagues
- Provide data-led reports and indexes/frameworks on subjects from Climate Change to D+I, The Future of AI and Decision Making, to Trends in Risk, visualizing the data to tell the stories that matter
- Report on and analyse data in a way that contributes to telling compelling stories across media
- Visualize and to find patterns in spatial data using relevant software
- Use statistical tools to identify significant data trends in our, and other’s data
- Provide raw data for journalists when requested, often on a tight deadline
- Help develop data-led story ideas that resonate with the global news editorial calendar as well as news jacking stories with our data as they emerge
- Help develop industry leading live indexes through research and API-supported frameworks
- Explore and summarise data using relational database software
- Use skills and experience to advise on best approaches to data-led storytelling and the development and publication of data-led projects
- Contribute to comms strategy, thought leadership and marketing content by producing data stories and visualizations for reports and indexes, keynotes, briefings, presentations, earned media/coverage, newsletters, podcasts and compelling image-led social media posts
Knowledge, skills and experience - What does it take to be successful?
- Analytically minded with a background in media/storytelling and or data/analytics
- An ability to pull stories from lots of data, and answer the editorial ‘so what?’ question behind the observed numbers and patterns, and relate them to the news agenda of the day/week/month
- As an experienced data journalist, you will be well-versed in the tools, methods and practices involved in asking questions about both quantitative and qualitative information and how the two might be used together to create new insights.
- Excellent written communication skills and experience working as a journalist or a strong instinct for news
- A passion for AI, tech and data storytelling
- Creative thinking is key
- An ability to tell stories based on data, comprehensively and objectively
- The ability to communicate complex insights in a relatable way
- A sense of fun and a love of data and storytelling
- Excel skills
Desirable/ Bonus Points for:
- Experience using BI tools such as Looker, Tableau or Metabase
- Experience working with APIs and building queries to extract data
- Preferably some experience writing SQL
- Experience working for a national or consumer business media outlet a bonus
At Signal AI, we strongly believe that diverse teams perform better. We are committed to building and fostering an inclusive environment where our employees feel welcomed, valued and listened to - an environment where they can thrive being their true selves.
You’ll get the opportunity to be part of something really exciting. You’ll be a key player in helping to shape Signal AI now and in the years to come. Here’s how we enable Signallers to do their best work;
- Share options - we all own a piece of Signal AI, so we’ll all get to enjoy our success
- Hybrid Working Environment - we have a hybrid remote policy where you will be able to work remotely 2-3 days per week.
- Summer & Winter Fully remote blocks
- Health Cash Plan
- Unlimited holiday entitlement
- Pension plan
- Income Protection
- Life Insurance
- Enhanced Maternity, Paternity and Dependents Leave policies
- Access to free therapists via Spill
- And more …