1-2 days per week at home
A little flex time
Who We Are
Element is the startup which employs the core team behind matrix.org— the leading project for secure, open decentralised communication.
Matrix’s mission is to make messaging as open as email— allowing everyone to choose where their data is hosted, enjoy private conversations thanks to advanced encryption, and ultimately be in control of their own communication.
Matrix powers Element, our flagship messaging apps for the web, iOS & Android, along with Element Matrix Services (EMS), our SaaS platform for personal & professional use.
We build things for everyone, and we know we can’t succeed without a diverse team. Our hiring process is designed to be humane and give candidates the best chance to show us what you can do. If we ever fall down on this, please let us know.
You'll spend most of your time working on EMS, our SaaS platform for personal & professional use. You can take a look at our Synapse homeserver code here. Give it a spin!
EMS has already been adopted by organisations including Mozilla, KDE, Tezos, Tadhack & many more.
This role is about improving the features, performance and reliability of our EMS platform, as well as generally making it as easy as possible for anyone to access secure, decentralised communication software. Do check out our public roadmap.
Since (almost) everything we do is open source you can get a great feel for exactly what it would be like to work on EMS, why not join our developer channel at #EMS:matrix.org to provide a window into the core team and the community. Come and say hi!
The core of the EMS team work from our London HQ, where this role will be based. We are open to remote applications, though you would need to be based in a European (or nearby) timezone.
The most important thing is that you believe passionately in the mission of decentralisation of the internet. More specifically that you believe that communications should not be centralised in the hands of a small number of very large organisations and instead individuals should control their own data and choose who they share it with.
Additionally we are looking for someone who is:
- Smart, curious and enthusiastic
- Likes to ship early and often
- Likes to write tests :)
- A tireless advocate of code quality (understanding the need for trade-offs in the short term whilst keeping us honest in the long term)
- Enjoys working in an Agile/Lean development environment
- Is articulate and empathetic.
- Is comfortable with the pace, trade offs and ambiguity of an early stage startup (specifically: how to take care of yourself and get your work done without working crazy hours).
We don’t have hard requirements, we just want to build the best possible team, but as a bonus it would be great if some of the following are true.
- Experience of building web applications
- Experience maintaining and/or contributing to open source projects
- Experience working in a continuous delivery environment
If you have any questions before making an application reach out to Mischa (@mischawalmsley:matrix.org) via https://app.element.io/
Our general approach is to treat people like adults and acknowledge that by being flexible we create an environment for people to do their best work. For more details here is our manifesto. That said specific points that differentiate us.
- Work on FOSS projects with high visibility and a large enthusiastic community
- Since our technology is relevant to anything that requires real-time comms, the role provides exposure to a wide range of domains from web and app dev through to VR, VoIP and IoT.
- Family friendly environment, many of the team have small children and we look to accommodate that as best we can.
- People tend to stay with the company for a long time, we take this as a sign that we have a cohesive supportive culture, that we have engaging challenging work and that people can develop their skills and careers here for the long term.
We build things for everyone, and we know we can’t succeed without a diverse team. Our hiring process is designed to be considerate and give candidates the best chance to show us what you can do. If we ever fall down on this, please let us know.
Element does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, colour, religion, age, national origin, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other reason prohibited by law in provision of employment opportunities and benefits.