Various work from home options
Who We Are
We’re the team behind Matrix—the leading project for secure, open decentralised communication and Element— the all-in-one secure chat app for teams, friends and organisations. Our mission is to make messaging as open as email— allowing everyone to choose where their data is hosted, enjoy private conversations and ultimately be in control of their own communication.
We build open alternatives to apps like WhatsApp, Slack, Teams & more. Our early adopters include The French Government, and open source communities like Mozilla, KDE, GNOME and Wikimedia, while we’re working towards gaining traction in personal messaging.
We build things for everyone, and we know we can’t succeed without a diverse team. Our hiring process is designed to be respectful and give candidates the best chance to show us what you can do. If we ever fall down on this, please let us know.
We're looking for an HR professional to join our growing team and help us shape the future of Element.
As People Advisor, you will support the development and implementation of our people policies and initiatives, alongside being a champion of our unique company culture and values. This role will report directly to our VP People, and as a key member of our small but super talented People team, you will be in a unique position to influence change and make an impact from day one.
What you’ll be doing:
People Operations (80%)
- Support day to day people operations including employee relations, maintaining our HRIS (Bob) benefits review and management, employee data and record keeping, analysis, and reporting.
- Work closely with the Legal and Biz Ops Team to support new employee onboarding from drafting paperwork, submitting requests to our EoR, visa applications and responding to questions from new starters.
- Ensure legal compliance across all regions by monitoring and implementing federal and state HR requirements. Working in close partnership with our EoRin regions where Element does not have an entity.
- Work closely with Managers and the wider People team to coordinate people programs and initiatives, such as employee engagement surveys, performance reviews, development and training initiatives etc.
- Be a trusted point of contact for our growing team for questions related to HR, payroll, benefits, etc.
- Provide simple, insightful People reporting that informs us about trends in attrition and engagement to ensure we are delivering the very best environment to retain and engage our Team.
People Projects (20%)
- Including salary benchmarking, benefits reviews, compliance audits, policy maintenance, etc.
- Identify and deliver new initiatives that attract, retain, engage and motivate our employees and future talent.
- At least 2 years HR / People Ops experience with exposure to a range of HR functions such as employee relations, on-boarding, off-boarding, compliance, reporting, payroll, benefits, etc ideally gained in a start up or high growth business.
- You enjoy variety and have a “get stuck in” mentality - no task is too big or too small.
- Understanding of UK and ideally US and French/German employment law, policies, and best practice.
- You have a natural ability to build relationships with people, both internally and externally.
- Strong attention to detail and high sense of urgency for critical timelines.
- Bags of common sense and a high level of discretion and confidentiality.
Our general approach is to treat people like adults and acknowledge that by being flexible we create an environment for people to do their best work. For more details here is our manifesto. That said specific points that differentiate us include:
- Generous holiday allowance, private healthcare for you and your family and opportunities for development and progression as we scale.
- Family friendly environment; many of the team have small children and we look to accommodate that as best we can.
- People tend to stay with the company for a long time, we take this as a sign that we have a cohesive, supportive culture, that we have engaging challenging work and that people can develop their skills and careers here for the long term.
Element does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, colour, religion, age, national origin, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other reason prohibited by law in provision of employment opportunities and benefits.