More than 2 days at home per week
Unmind is a workplace mental health platform. We empower employees to live more fulfilling and balanced lives by changing the way organisations around the world think about mental health. We believe that everyone has the right to a healthy mind – because we all have mental health, all of the time – and we’re striving to create a world where mental health is universally understood, nurtured, and celebrated.
In the past 12 months, Unmind has grown from a 30 person team to a fast-growing, 160 person global organisation with offices in London, Sydney, and New York. With the recent announcement of our Series B funding, we're looking forward to our next stage of growth which will enable us to deliver on our mission to improve the mental wellbeing of ten million people in organisations around the world.
Research is now a key business priority and our team is committed to ethical, well-designed research, making a valuable contribution to the evidence base and demonstrating genuine thought leadership. We have an ambitious research roadmap and we’re looking for an exceptional individual to join as a Research Scientist, and help us elevate our future studies.
Uniting Behind Uniqueness
We are committed to building an inclusive workplace and encourage everyone to bring their whole selves to work. However you identify, and whatever background you bring with you, we welcome you to apply for a role at Unmind.
If there are any adjustments that would help improve your experience with Unmind, please do let us know when you apply.
We also believe our interview process should be inclusive and transparent. Find out what to expect and more about our commitment to diversity on our candidate FAQs page here. As always, if there is anything missing, or you've identified a way we can improve, just let us know!
The Role – Research Scientist
As a Research Scientist, you'll be joining a fast-growing team of researchers and psychologists, whose mission is to further the science of digital mental health care through rigorous academic research.
You'll take ownership of individual studies on our research roadmap, seeing them through from planning to publication. These will focus on efficacy trials that aim to evaluate the impact of Unmind on mental health and workplace outcomes.
You'll also have the opportunity to work collaboratively with other teams across the business, such as Product, Data, and User Research, as well as our academic partners from leading institutions.
We’re scaling quickly, which means that the focus and responsibilities of any position can be quite dynamic – but here’s how we initially see your skills and passion coming to life at Unmind:
- Drive: Drive forward our RCTs, from planning through to publishing. You’ll prepare rigorous study protocols and ethics applications to a high standard, and you’ll take the lead on planning data collection and analysis.
- Collaborate: Form and maintain strong relationships with key stakeholders across the business, including our Content, Product, Data and Engineering teams, and with our external academic partners.
- Disseminate: A key part of this role will be publishing findings in high-impact academic journals, ensuring that the academic community sees value in our work. You’ll diligently prepare research papers for submission to leading academic journals.
- Share: You’ll represent Unmind at academic conferences - either in person or virtually - giving engaging and inspiring presentations at conferences and industry events. You’ll also have the opportunity to coordinate with our commercial teams to help communicate and disseminate our research findings to a wider audience.
Skills and Experience
We firmly believe that no one is the finished article and that there should be learning in every role you do. However, some experience in the following is important for the role.
We're looking for people who have:
- PhD in psychology, health outcomes, clinical research or related field.
- Strong track record of publishing in leading academic journals with at least one first-author paper.
- Proficient with statistical techniques such as mixed effects models, ANOVAs, linear regression, missing data methods, model comparison, etc.
- Programming skills in R or another programming language (e.g. Python, Matlab) with the ability and motivation to quickly acquire R.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex ideas to a non-technical/non-scientific audience.
- Willingness to roll your sleeves up and see jobs through to completion, and you never take a “that’ll do” approach.
- A genuine and great human. We have built a special team and want to keep it that way.
- Good understanding of common mental health problems, psychological interventions, and measurement of mental health outcomes.
- Passionate about mental health, tech-for-good, and generally improving people’s lives.
- Comfortable working in an environment of rapid growth, constant change, and lots of unknowns.
At Unmind we believe in having a whole person approach and we hope that our benefits enhance the lives of Unminders, helping them be happy, healthy and fulfilled. You can see the full details of our benefits on the careers page, but they include:
To support you throughout everyday life at Unmind
- Private Medical Insurance for you and your family
- Pension | 401(k) | Superannuation
- Global EAP
- Life Insurance
- Unmind Equity scheme
Taking time to celebrate and experience the important moments in life.
- 25 days annual leave plus your birthday day off
- Flexible working, including flexible use of Public Holidays
- Summer Fridays
- Celebration days
- £1,000 annual learning budget with 2 days learning leave
- Gender-neutral parental leave policy and Parental coaching
Ensuring Unminders have access to tools that enrich both their bodies and their minds.
- Monthly ClassPass Subscription
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Regular company socials and wellbeing activities
- Friend and family access to the Unmind platform
- Office perks (free on-site gym, rooftop seating, community events)
- Dog-friendly workplace
Need to Know
- Please note this role is not remote and does require you to be able to commute to Borough one day a week.
- Unfortunately we cannot offer visa sponsorship, so please only apply if you have the independent right to work in the UK.