Various work from home options
At A Glance
Us: Default alive startup of 70+ people. Remote team, mainly based in the UK. YC alumni. Building a web-based platform for behavioural research. £4.4M revenue in 2020, all driven by word-of-mouth. We’re on a mission to connect people around the world to make trustworthy data more accessible and facilitate world-changing research. Python, Django, MongoDB, Google Cloud Platform.
You: Experienced backend engineer with interest in product or platform work.
£75-110k depending on skills and experience.
We're looking for an experienced backend developer. In the role you will play a key part in developing and guiding our product. You should have broad practical knowledge in different areas of software development. We're looking for a developer whose existing skills, experience, and knowledge will complement and support our growing team. As we’re an early stage startup you’ll have the opportunity to significantly influence the trajectory of our products.
Our core product is a single page vue.js application with a Python backend. We use CircleCI for continuous integration and write a lot of tests. You aren't expected to be familiar with all of these technologies and will have the time and support to develop your skills and understanding on the job.
How We Operate
Our engineers are split into small multi-discipline teams of 3-7 people (engineers, product designers, UX, product managers). Teams are problem-focused and work on high level objectives, e.g. our Research & Collaboration Team is looking at ways the site’s UX can be improved to increase retention of users. Teams use 6-12 week cycles to meet the objectives with continuous delivery throughout the cycle.
We have a strong belief in the value of testing - both integration and unit testing. All code goes through code review.
Deep work is valued throughout the company. We favour async communication over Slack and Notion. When we need to communicate in real-time we try to group meetings together to give everyone bigger blocks of interruption-free time.
Our problem-focused teams allow for regular innovation, which we foster further with quarterly hack-days, building things like study debriefing tools and experiments comparing our platform to competitors like MTurk.
Continuous learning and development is strongly encouraged. Everyone gets a personal development budget which they can put towards things like books, courses and conferences, and reserve times every fortnight for learning new things or working on creative side-projects.
We’re aware of the challenges of being a remote worker and work hard to foster team-spirit. We encourage remote chats over coffee with colleagues and have regular team meetings to keep everyone up to date with goings on across the company and introduce new joiners.
We believe that we are in the process of successfully building a company that people enjoy working for. Our employees should feel valued, supported, and fulfilled. We know that there’s always more that we could be doing and have regular conversations about what we can improve. Everyone’s opinion is important and all input is taken on board.
What you'll be doing:
- Building and maintaining applications primarily written in Python and Django.
- Collaborating with a multi-disciplined team, including front-end engineers, product managers, and researchers.
- Writing unit and integration tests for your code - we have a strong testing culture.
- Improving our existing systems so that they can scale as we grow.
- Sharing best practices to improve our products and processes.
- Assisting the customer support team.
- Designing the architecture of new services as part of a team
What you'll bring:
- An interest in shipping products that make an impact on users’ lives.
- Ability to write clean and maintainable code in Python.
- Experience of building web applications or platforms.
- Familiarity with testing and continuous delivery practices.
- Bonus points if you have meaningful experience with MongoDB.
What we offer:
- Flexible working: You can work flexibly from home or from our dog-friendly co-working space.
- £1000 home office budget and laptop when you start and a £200 yearly top-up budget.
- 33 days holiday per year (25 days + bank holidays, which you can switch with any day of your choosing).
- Pension (employer contribution 3% of base salary).
- Comprehensive private health insurance that disregards medical history.
- Taxable stipend of £150 a month per person for wellness and improving your remote experience (co-working subscription, gym membership, lunches, etc.)
- £1000 yearly budget for education, growth, and training.
- £1000 yearly budget on discretionary meet-ups (travel, hotel, food, etc.)
- Fun and collaborative quarterly company-wide meet-ups and team socials paid for by us.
- Personal growth opportunities and career progression (e.g., learn about the startup ecosystem, mentoring from executive team, learn about psychological science and research methods).
- Childcare flexibility: Need to pick your child up from school? No problem.
- Generous maternity, paternity, and shared parental leave.
- A company committed to carbon offsetting: we donate money in your name each month to plant trees and we offset travel as an organisation each year.
- Open, transparent, and inclusive culture.
At Prolific, we're changing how research on the internet is done. Our co-founders Katia and Phelim started by building a marketplace that connects researchers from both Academia and industry with instant, high quality, global research participants. Now, as a growing team, our bigger vision is to build the most powerful and trusted platform for behavioural research.
The Interview Process
Initial Interview - You'll have a 30 - 45 minute interview with two members of the team where you'll have the opportunity to ask about the company and the role, and we'll ask you questions about your experiences and goals.
Assignment - There will be a 2 hour assignment that evaluates skills required for the role. You'll be compensated with a £50 voucher for completing the task because we know your time is valuable!
Final Interview - The final stage is a 1.5 - 2 hour interview where we'll deep dive into your past experiences, goals, motivations, and skills. You'll speak with two to three members of the team and - as always - have an opportunity to ask questions about the role and company.