Whereabouts: We work from everywhere within CET +/- 5 hours
Interviews: Around 4-6 hours over a few weeks, including some practical work
Salary: £45,000 - £50,000
Note: We have no “caps” on our salary, and you can read our full compensation philosophy here. If our advertised salary doesn’t suit your current expectations, just let us know. Although we do not negotiate salaries, we may be able to offer the role at a more senior level or with an alternative scope.
Reporting to: James Ferguson, Director of Product Design & Research
Ask us anything: email@example.com
“Falling in love with a problem happens through observing it happen in a relevant context, where the problem is occurring to people in your target audience.”— Tomer Sharon, Validating Product Ideas
Please note: If you aren’t seeing this role advertised on https://jobs.lever.co/whereby the role is likely closed for new applications. Unfortunately, we are not always in control of where our roles are posted as many websites post our roles without our express consent. For this reason, you may be reading out of date information - we are so sorry about that. Our careers team is always on hand to answer questions, drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org
Your mission at Whereby*
Uncover users' problems, motivations, and expectations and work with our product teams on making decisions that ensure the product delivers delight and value over time.
*This is the mission that moves you and your team through our strategic roadmap, and should be your focus for up to a year or two.
What is Whereby all about
Freedom to work from anywhere: our mission with Whereby is to give people freedom to live and work where they thrive.
📍 Our global HQ is in Oslo, Norway, but our users (and team) are worldwide - having been used in nearly every country in the world by millions of folk. 🌏
By making it possible to collaborate as well over video as you can in real life, we want to give you the choice to work from where your life happens. To allow you to be in a place where you can think and focus, but also allow a seamless and instant connection with others when you need to.
For our 100 team members, and also for our customers, we know that the ability to decouple location from work can be life-changing. They can afford the house they want, can spend less time commuting, be closer to nature, and their children get to grow up seeing their grandparents every day. Everyone on our team enjoys the enormous benefits that a flexible work policy brings, and we truly believe the future of work will gravitate towards our vision of the future.
Product at Whereby
We strongly believe in the superpowers of an empowered, passionate and cross-functional product team. We are a product-led business who strive to evolve our product alongside users, exceed their expectations and delight them. We try to ensure both that we are building the right thing and building the thing right. We analyse data, talk to users, prototype and iterate. We focus on discovering and solving user problems, not just building and shipping features. As a member of our product team you’ll take on a key role in this process and see your work be used by millions of users worldwide.
🔍 What we're looking for in our User Researcher
We're looking for a User Researcher who is passionate about uncovering needs users didn't even know they had, and work with product teams on turning them into features and improvements in our product. You want to help us realize our vision of a future where people have freedom and flexibility to live and work where they thrive, by identifying problems we can solve for users and ways we can help them collaborate better. You have experience with building innovative products and have a strong methodical foundation in qualitative research. You are curious with a desire to understand our audience and be part of a growth-focused product team that puts the user at the core.
🌎 We believe in everyone
We fundamentally believe talent is distributed to all of us in equal measure. We open our doors (physical or url) to everyone and we see our differences as a strength; it’s this philosophy that drives us towards our mission.
This means we see your unique history as having a value money cannot buy; we believe in the strength of every intersection of race, religion or belief, ethnic origin, different physical ability, family structure, socio-economics, age, nationality or citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity.
⚒️ The nuts and bolts of the role*
* Please do not see everything in this job ad as "must have", but rather a guiding list of what we're looking for. We know that no candidate will be the perfect match for all we've mentioned in this posting, so don't be afraid to apply if you feel you're close to the brief but not "spot on"
- 🙌 Autonomous
- 🔍 Data-informed
- 💛 Empathetic and people-centric
- 💻 Product-mindset
- ☁️ Open minded
Your previous experience
- Have worked as a User Researcher in a team delivering small to medium scoped problems
- Able to leverage a variety of mixed qualitative and quantitative methods
- Experience running usability tests, recruiting participants and synthesis
- Experience in an agile environment working iteratively
- Ability to collaborate with stakeholders including other user researchers, designers, product managers and engineers
- A strong desire for learning and personal growth
- Enjoy working in distributed teams and
- Are a really nice person with loads of ambition
How we'll measure your success🌟
- Value and impact of insights delivered to the team
- Demonstrated business impact
Scope of Work
- Take ownership of well scoped aspects of research projects with support from your team: Planning, Recruitment, Data Collection, Synthesis, Reporting, Socialising etc
- Contribute to our view of our users and their behaviour, and help identify gaps and opportunities for new research
- Help facilitate evidence-based product and design decisions
- Support the evangelism of research and contribute to the development of research strong practices in your team
- Contribute to and maintain a culture of rigour and data curiosity to drive tangible business impact
- Practise mixed research methods to deliver insight to your team’s projects
- Partner with other team members to upskill in best practise research methodologies
- Work with your teammates to help elevate user research and increase team engagement in studies within your team
- Provide support to Product Managers, Designers and Engineers to contribute to a shared understanding of research
- Share insights within your team in creative ways to help them understand the needs of our customers and users and improve the usability of our product
Operational/ Foundational responsibilities
- Collaborate effectively with your team to conduct research and generate insights based on their needs
- Make use of existing tools to aid your work e.g. UserTesting.com, Typeform etc
- Contribute to and maintain a product and engineering roadmap in collaboration with Product Managers and your team
- You'll have the opportunity and flexibility to be part of different teams and develop in several areas.
- We encourage our team members to attend one course/conference event per year, and attend relevant events on a frequent basis.
- Potentially big impact on the overall business.
- We offer support for people who are interesting in becoming people managers.
You've read all this way... you may as well apply! 🙌
If you have any more questions, take a peek at our Recruitment FAQ on Notion or drop us an email to email@example.com. You can always read more about Whereby here on our open handbook.
Note: We perform background checks on certain roles. For more information about how and why we carry out background checks, this document is a great starting point. For anything further, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or your Talent Partner. Whereby’s background checks will be carried out by Zinc.