More than 2 days at home per week
We are hiring an Android Engineer with experience in Java and Kotlin to join our talented engineering team. We’re enabling great businesses to succeed through equity crowdfunding, and as an Android Engineer at Crowdcube, you have the opportunity to help define how we build our mobile app and deliver the best possible experience for our customers.
Who we are:
As a leading European retail investment marketplace, Crowdcube raises finance for Europe's hottest high-growth businesses by giving investors the opportunity to back businesses they believe in. Having amassed an investor community of over 1 million people, which has funded over 1,000 businesses, Crowdcube was named the most active investor in private equity in 2020.
Crowdcube was inspired by an unshakable belief in entrepreneurs that dream big, push at the edges and want to make a difference. Our mission is to democratise investment, helping to fuel the next generation of business who want to leave a mark on the world.
Since founding in 2011, we’ve successfully funded over 1,000 campaigns with brands from across the globe, such as Monzo, Brewdog, Grind, Cowboy, Mintos and what3words.
What we stand for:
We believe in a culture of curiosity. We love new thinking and big ideas that challenge the status quo. We know success is rarely free; it’s hard-fought and a struggle that often requires grit, tenacity and hard work. We value the power of people and know that we’re stronger together. We adore ambition, whatever it may be, to make a difference, to have an impact.
We’re on the hunt for talented individuals with an entrepreneurial spirit. Are you with us?
What you will be doing:
- Develop our Android app to run on mobile and tablet, staying true to our company’s core values and needs while lending your own creativity to the mix.
- Design and develop efficient and maintainable code.
- Clearly and regularly communicate with management, language teams, product team and technical support colleagues.
- Test and maintain software products to ensure strong functionality and optimisation for a range of Android versions and devices.
- Identify and recommend software improvements as appropriate
- Expand existing software to meet the changing needs of our customers
- Write documentation supporting the app. application code and use
Ideally you will have:
- Demonstrated knowledge and application of native Android technologies, such as Java, Kotlin, XML, Android Studio and Gradle
- Experience with MVP or MVVM app architectures
- Knowledge of Android design patterns and best practices: Builders, Dependency Injection, Singletons, Observer
- Knowledge of reactive frameworks (rxJava, rebinding)
- Ability to improve codebase by refactoring using newest Jetpack Components (LiveData, ViewModel, DataBinding, Room)
- Deep understanding and ability to write and maintain unit, integration and UI tests using jUnit, Mockito, Espresso
- Experience working with web services: REST APIs, JSON
- Demonstrated understanding of products from the perspective of the customer, business and technology requirements
- Ability to work independently and multi-task effectively
Tools: Android Studio, Java, Kotlin, XML, SQLite, Realm, Firebase, Gradle, Git, Unit Tests, Google Cloud Platform, Bitrise CI/CD
Libraries: Retrofit, OkHttp, Dagger (Hilt), Gson
You will also be:
- An excellent communicator, who actively listens and shows empathy, with an ability to influence both technical and non technical audiences
- Open-minded and comfortable questioning the status quo, coming up with new solutions and considerate of others'
- Enthusiastic and positive, with a bias to action
- A team player! We're all in this together so be supportive and understanding
What we are offering:
We like to nurture talent and ensure members of our team develop and hone their skills through training, attending conferences and subscriptions to online courses. We’re passionate and hard-working, and we take care of our team:
- £40-£50K DOE
- Participation in the employee share option plan (subject to the prevailing company policy at the time)
- 25 days holiday + bank holidays + holiday for tenure
- Pension Scheme at 4% matched (UK Residents Only)
- Private Medical Scheme with AXA including dental and optical cash plans
- Access to Healing Clouds, a mental health platform
- Life Assurance Scheme (4 x salary)
- Access to Sunlight - a learning & development platform with a £1000 training and wellness budget per year
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Weekly demos to show what we're working on, monthly team meetings
- Company perks such as fruit, snacks, fitness classes and weekly office beers
- Company outings and activities (previous fun included a trip to a gin distillery, karaoke, charity football match, Square Mile Relay, bowling and a day at River Cottage)
Our interview process typically consists of an initial phone screen, an interview with the hiring manager and a task, followed by a final interview with other members of the team. There aren't any trick questions and the task will typically be based on a real scenario the team have worked on.
Our policy is to employ the best-qualified people and provide equal opportunity for the advancement of employees including promotion and training and not to discriminate against any person because of gender, race, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, religion, belief or disability.
We are a flexible workplace. Cuber Choice enables Cubers and future Cubers to do their best work, in whatever way is best for them and the business. We commit to treating all employees equally, whether they are home or office-based. We do not reward presenteeism but focus on impact. Employees may choose a different work schedule to meet personal or family needs. This includes early finishes, late starts, selecting your own working hours, and you may also choose to split your time between home and office.