More than 2 days at home per week
It would be great if you have the following skills:
Full-stack mindset. You’ve built full-stack applications with CI/CD, as well as understand and promote the importance of the latter.
Testing strategies. You must have experience with writing automated tests for software with tools like Jest or Cypress.
Component libraries. Experience building and/or working with a component library.
Cross-functional team experience. You worked closely with designers and product managers in short, effective feedback loops.
Good grasp of Agile, Kanban and SCRUM. Working with stakeholders to create and manage backlogs, working with the team to manage the delivery of work.
It would be nice if you have:
- Experience delivering developer-focussed products or services.
- Knowledge of realtime, event-driven or streaming protocols.
- An interest in functional programming with Elm or ClojureScript.
- Experience with mentoring less experienced developers.
What’s it like to work at Ably?
Ably is entering a new phase of growth led by an experienced senior team. You’ll be part of a successful, highly motivated, and extremely collaborative team.
To provide the infrastructure required for the next generation of the internet, to tell the world about it, and to support everyone inside Ably to do so we hire people who are ready and capable of taking on challenging problems in a high-growth environment.
We want to work in a company of inclusive people who treat each other well. To really thrive at Ably, you’ll need to believe in and be prepared to do your work in line with our values, which are:
- Open for all. Open is a mindset. When open, we’re better collaborators, communicators and creators. Whether open source, standards, or protocols, open hearts, minds, and eyes. It’s better when it’s open.
- Bias for action. We avoid analysis paralysis at all costs. We lean into doing in order to move us forward. When we have enough of what we need to act, we act.
- Even the best do better. We want to be the best - but that doesn’t mean we rest when we are. Improvement and growth - true betterment - is an ongoing journey. One fuelled by curiosity and taking risks.
- Technology needs humanity. Our technology means little without people - whether that’s how we treat our colleagues, or how we design developer experiences. Being human matters.
- Dependable people make dependable things. Dependability is integral to our mission and technology, but being dependable starts with our people. When we care enough to take real ownership of our products and problems - all else will follow.
- Bold creativity leads to the greatest rewards. When viewed through a different lens, what stands in the way can become the way. The bigger the challenge the easier the choice: bold creativity will always move us forward, create better outcomes, and set us apart.
To see what life’s like at Ably, check out our careers page at ably.com/careers and read the story of how Ably's core values came to be.
What’s in it for you?
- A great company culture
- Share options
- The chance to learn and grow with a fast-moving company, supported by a learning budget of £1,000 that gives you access to professional training, events, conferences, workshops etc.
- Remote first: Unless you want to pop into our communal office space in Shoreditch, London, you’ll work from home most of the time, apart from when we have planning sessions and Summits. Travel to the office is at the employee's expense, apart from when we have Ably Summits
- Your choice of high quality tech kit to work on
- Home workstation set up budget of £500, plus an annual top-up of £150
- Regular company away days and social events
- Friday need-to-know drinks and snacks
- Private health insurance, including Doctor@Hand
- Access to private and confidential coaching via Sanctus
- 24/7 Employee Assistance Programme
- A monthly wellbeing budget with Juno
- Enhanced parental leave
- 25 days of paid annual leave (33 days including bank holidays)
- 10 days of paid sick leave (including mental health days) per year
- Dog friendly office for when you’re in the office!
If you enjoy working as part of a technology company, value open source, and love solving hard problems - then we’d love to hear from you, regardless of whether you fit the job description exactly or not. If in doubt, drop us an email; we’d be more than happy to give you some advice on your application.
Ably is founded on individuality and inclusivity. We believe our differences are what makes us great, and we would not have it any other way! Our people are at the heart of what we do, and we encourage everyone to be their most authentic self because this is what creates success. We continue to make progress on gender equality and intersectionality and encourage applications from all backgrounds regardless of age, disability, gender, sexual orientation, parental status, race, religion or educational background. Ably, an opportunity for all to do something amazing!