We are looking for an experienced, passionate, and creative Head of Design to lead Crowdcube’s Design team. You'll be joining us at an exciting time of growth with the opportunity to shape the team.
We are looking for an experienced, passionate, and creative Head of Design to lead Crowdcube’s Design team. You'll be joining us at an exciting time of growth with the opportunity to shape the team and the direction of design at Crowdcube, one of the UK's leading Fintechs. If you're motivated to empower businesses to change the world and make investing accessible and rewarding for everyone then we want to hear from you.
Who we are:
As a leading European retail investment marketplace, Crowdcube raises finance for Europe's hottest high-growth businesses by giving investors the opportunity to back businesses they believe in. Having amassed an investor community of over 1 million people, which has funded over 1,000 businesses, Crowdcube was named the most active investor in private equity in 2020.
Crowdcube was inspired by an unshakable belief in entrepreneurs that dream big, push at the edges and want to make a difference. Our mission is to democratise investment, helping to fuel the next generation of business who want to leave a mark on the world.
Since founding in 2011, we’ve successfully funded over 1,000 campaigns with brands from across the globe, such as Monzo, Brewdog, Grind, Cowboy, Mintos and what3words.
What you will be doing:
As Head of Design at Crowdcube, reporting to our Chief Product Officer, you will provide a creative vision not just for the design team but the whole organisation. You will need to empathise with the needs of both our entrepreneurs and our investors. You will establish processes and practices for realising that vision and set the bar for quality. You will contribute to the development of brand definition and experience principles, and ensure that those are appropriately interpreted through the team’s work. You know that good design is invisible and the simplest solution is often the best. You will be responsible for leading, coaching and mentoring a team of designers and working with them to establish their growth paths. You set an example by getting involved in the detail of a project but never lose sight of the direction of design at Crowdcube.
Ideally you will have:
- Demonstrable experience of working in digital, web and mobile design as a visual, product or UX designer.
- Proven experience in leading and growing design teams and developing a culture of design.
- A clear vision for brand development
- Proven experience in implementing structure, process and tools into a design team.
- A strong understanding of user-centric design principles.
- A data-driven and results-focused approach.
- Interest in investment and fintech.
And you will need to be/have:
- People management and leadership; you can motivate, delegate, and develop a team of designers to deliver results and reach their full potential. You give clear direction, provide a listening ear when the pressure is on and know how to keep them happy, engaged and productive. You are motivated by seeing the team succeed and knowing that your work had a huge impact on their success.
- Strategic thinking and commercial understanding of business; the ability to prioritise design elements our users care about, taking a data-driven approach, and set creative direction in the face of competing priorities is key.
- Exceptional relationship-building skills; be able to influence, with the right interpersonal skills to build trust and respect across a number of groups; be comfortable and confident communicating at all levels, and remain calm and collected under pressure.
- Start-up DNA: be resilient, gets things done, are comfortable with uncertainty, be adaptable to change, be used to working in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment and know when to fight for the right thing and when to say no.
What we are offering:
We like to nurture talent and ensure members of our team develop and hone their skills through training, attending conferences and subscriptions to online courses. We’re passionate and hard-working, and we take care of our team:
- £50-65K DOE
- Participation in the employee share option plan (subject to the prevailing company policy at the time)
- 25 days holiday + bank holidays + holiday for tenure
- Pension Scheme at 4% matched (UK Residents Only)
- Private Medical Scheme with AXA including dental and optical cash plans
- Access to Plumm, a mental health platform
- Life Assurance Scheme (4 x salary)
- Access to Sunlight - a learning & development platform with a £1000 training and wellness budget per year
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Weekly demos to show what we're working on, monthly team meetings
- Company perks such as fruit, snacks, fitness classes and weekly office beers
- Company outings and activities (previous fun included a trip to a gin distillery, karaoke, charity football match, Square Mile Relay, bowling and a day at River Cottage)
Our interview process typically consists of an initial phone screen, an interview with the hiring manager and a task, followed by a final interview with other members of the team. There aren't any trick questions and the task will typically be based on a real scenario the team have worked on.
Our policy is to employ the best-qualified people and provide equal opportunity for the advancement of employees including promotion and training and not to discriminate against any person because of gender, race, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, religion, belief or disability.
We are a flexible workplace. Cuber Choice enables Cubers and future Cubers to do their best work, in whatever way is best for them and the business. We commit to treating all employees equally, whether they are home or office-based. We do not reward presenteeism but focus on impact. Employees may choose a different work schedule to meet personal or family needs. This includes early finishes, late starts, selecting your own working hours, and you may also choose to split your time between home and office.