We’re now looking for a Senior Front End Engineer to join our Members team
We’re doing things a little differently…. Want to join us on our journey, to help us grow?
In 2018, we launched the UK’s first real-time pay-by-mile car insurance policy, and we’ve been growing quickly ever since. We’re now looking for a Senior Front End Engineer to join our Members team with the skills and experience to prioritise and manage change to reduce engineering Run rate by de-risking areas of code with the mobile application, web dashboard and supporting member API services.
Our Engineers come from varied backgrounds, from landscape gardening to photography. While some have a degree, others have come from academy courses such as Makers and General Assembly. However, what we all hold in common is a passion for technology and building an awesome product for our members.
Senior Front End Engineer (React.js, React Native)
As our platform grows rapidly to support new and existing members, we want to continue to delight them whilst automating and scaling even more aspects of our daily work. We’re looking for a Senior Front End Engineer to help us on our journey.
We are cloud native and value building platforms and systems that are resilient, cost effective and automated with great observability. As a regulated financial company that is ISO27001 certified and values innovation and continuous delivery we have an ongoing challenge to meet continued, rigorous data, security and auditability requirements.
Our technology stack is primarily Node.js running in containers and serverless Lambda, deployed to AWS using Infrastructure as Code. We build for scale, incorporating design patterns such as messaging using SQS, circuit breaker and bulkhead patterns, and our teams deploy their own code to many AWS services (including Lambda, EventBridge, ECS and RDS) multiple times per day, with zero downtime, following Continuous Delivery principles and practices.
At By Miles we are organised into cross-functional business aligned teams that include engineers, product and design - teams build and run their own systems in production environments and regularly report they have a high-level of psychological safety.
The Senior Front End Engineer will work within our members team to develop, maintain and enhance our React Native Mobile app, web dashboard and supporting services to continue to delight our Members (By Miles Policy Holders).
We’re looking for someone to join our team with:
- Proven experience building and running React and React Native applications.
- Great understanding of and use of SCSS.
- Experience building and consuming APIs and services with Node.js.
- Solid SQL and non-relational database experience, we use Postgres, DynamoDB and S3 as data stores and have 100Ms of rows of data.
- Familiarity debugging production applications hosted in the cloud, we use AWS.
You’ll be a fantastic addition to By Miles if you have:
- Exceptional communication skills and communicate proactively intra and inter teams, with peers and stakeholders.
- An ability to spot opportunities for improvement, prioritise and deliver change effectively and quickly.
- An empathetic nature and enjoy teaching others and knowledge sharing.
- A proactive attitude and are not afraid to challenge the status quo for the better good of the company, our culture or product.
- The ability to understand complicated domain logic and create clear abstractions.
If you have some of the below, it's an added bonus, but not essential!
- Experience of the car insurance/insurance domain.
- DynamoDB experience.
- Experience deploying React Native applications through Microsoft AppCentre.
10% Side Project Time
Innovation is something that we actively encourage and we want our talent to work on things that excite and interest them. To help do this we give our Engineers the opportunity to work 1 day, every 2 weeks on side projects of their choice that relate either to our industry or technology platform. It could be on anything from solving an already identified problem to proposing something no one else has even recognised!
But it’s not all about us...
It’s just as much about you. We’re an ambitious, energetic bunch and we have our sights set on great things this year, and we’re ready to grow. We recognise the value our people bring, with their inquisitive minds, bright ideas and fantastic attitudes, and we aim to give as much as we receive. It’s only fair.
- 26 days holiday + 8 bank holidays.
- Fully Hybrid Working - We will never force you to work from a location that doesn’t work for you, and we are committed to finding new ways of collaborating that make distributed working, work.
- Verified by flexa as a truly flexible employer.
- Allowance to get your work-from-anywhere set up, set up.
- Opportunities for part-time and flexible working - we are always open to discussing this, so please let us know if this might be right for you.
- Clean, bright, spacious office in Hammersmith
- Monthly one-to-one coaching sessions with our in-house coach Helen McMillan.
- Access to on-demand mental health support through Spill.
- Fully Flexible Benefits through our partner Thanks Ben, choose the benefits that matter most to you from Health Insurance, Pension Tops Ups, Learning & Development top-ups, or turn anything else into a benefit with your Thanks Ben Card.
- Real Living Wage for new parents, regardless of gender, or amount of time taken with your new addition to the family.
- Compassionate leave, Parental Bereavement Leave - When the worst happens, we want you to take the time you need without worrying about money or work.
- Sabbaticals - When you’ve been with us for 3 years you can take a paid sabbatical to rest, recharge, travel, learn a new skill, anything you want!
- Regular Socials - both Virtual and In-person.
- Cycle to work scheme.
Salary: £60,000-£80,000 dependent on experience.
Location: London, with flexible working or UK Hybrid working.
Our customers come from all walks of life, and so do we. We are committed to creating a diverse environment and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics or