A Lead Platform Engineer role is a true ‘end to end’ technical delivery role. You’ll take projects from the information and discovery stages through to implementation, build and support.
Lead Platform Engineer
As a Lead Platform Engineer you will be at the forefront of cloud technology using your skills for a variety of client facing projects with our varied customer base. You will meet with customers, potentially at the early sales stage, assessing and understanding their technical requirements.
You will work with our Sales and Pre-sales teams to take a project from the information and discovery stages through initial concept and design to implementation, build and support.
You will lead and inspire a team of experienced Platform Engineers, being a point of call for decisions and leadership. Exposure to a wide variety of technologies and software is a given and you will be expected to investigate the use of new technologies as they become available.
- Lead an experienced team of Platform Engineers, working with them on their personal development and growth
- Coordinate resourcing with other areas of the services business, helping to get the right people in the right place at the right time - in line with individual career development and company targets
- Act as a technical decision maker and authority for delivery projects
- Closely work with other Team Lead roles and senior management on the internal technology roadmap for delivery
- Work with customers and our Pre-sales Team to translate requirements into technical designs and follow this through to delivery of the solution
- Design highly available, Cloud native platforms
- Advise customers on modern software and architecture techniques such as 12 factor, microservices and serverless
- Develop internal tooling for the wider Platform Team, that can help us to do more, and be more effective
- Assist customers in understanding how cloud technology can help them grow and the benefits it offers, you’ll look for opportunities to deliver new services
- On-call duties (roughly 1 week in 5)
- Extensive hands-on experience with at least one major cloud provider (GCP, AWS, Azure)
- Extensive experience in a cloud focused delivery role (DevOps or Software Development)
- You can demonstrate the core skills to be a great team leader, including great communication (in person and written), organisation, delegation, confidence, understanding of career development and belief in the CTS values.
- You’re proactive and you like to solve problems. You want to get involved and make things happen, ensuring the best outcomes for your team, the business and our customers
- Previous experience in a consultancy or professional services role
- Ability to write tooling in at least one programming language
- A thorough understanding of Terraform and deployment methodologies associated with the tool
- Solid knowledge of cloud architecture principles and highly available systems
- Understanding of application development, delivery and infrastructure automation
- Commercial Kubernetes operational experience
Key Technology/Tooling Experience:
Knowledge of most of the following:
- Containerisation technologies (e.g. Docker)
- Configuration management tooling (e.g. Puppet, Chef, Ansible, Salt)
- Excellent understanding of the Linux operating system (e.g. Debian, CentOS)
- Continuous integration and deployment tool sets (e.g. Jenkins, ArgoCD, GoCD)
- Common DevOps technology stacks (e.g. ELK, NGINX, Apache, RabbitMQ, Elasticsearch, Redis, Consul)
- Site Reliability Engineering
- Database technologies including MySQL and PostgreSQL
- Serverless and microservice architectures
- GCP/AWS professional certifications
- Certified Kubernetes Administrator
This role would be primarily remote based, with some occasional travel to customer sites and to our office locations in Manchester and Utrecht (Netherlands).
What you’ll get:
In addition to the competitive salary, you’ll get private health insurance and company contributed pensions as standard.
We have a multitude of other benefits, including a market leading parental leave policies, health & wellbeing initiatives and access to a discounts and rewards programme (including discounted gym membership)
You’ll be invited to the bi-annual international company ‘kick off’ conferences, which are a great chance to meet your colleagues that you don’t see everyday.