Alex Chesterman, founder of Zoopla, Cazoo and early investor in Thirdfort, was asked by The Times to nominate the best start-up in 2019. He nominated Thirdfort because we're "solving a real problem."
Thirdfort is on a mission to remove risks so more people can move fearlessly. We use tech, design and data to dramatically reduce risk for lawyers during client interactions. In doing so, we make life easier for clients going through life’s big moments.
In time, we’ll become a trusted platform across numerous industries and geographies.
Since launching in 2018, we have grown to a team of 70 people across three offices in London, Manchester and Sri Lanka. We're looking for talented individuals to join our ambitious and expanding team and embrace our values, so we can claim the legal market and beyond.
We're looking for a talented Head of Finance to join our rapidly growing team. Reporting into our co-founders, you'll be our first full-time, permanent finance hire and be responsible for establishing and scaling an exceptional finance team.
As a company, we've scaled to a team of 70 employees and are nearing profitability. We have huge plans to now press the pedal even harder to scale and so we're looking to bring our finance function in-house, to facilitate our accelerating growth. You'd take ownership of the entire finance and financial reporting function, build out an effective finance team from scratch, and partner with teams across the business. Equally, with future institutional fundraises on the horizon, you'd play a huge role in working with prospective, and then new, investors. As our first finance hire, we're also looking for someone who is comfortable rolling up their sleeves and getting stuck in.
Your core responsibilities will include:
- Own the entire finance and financial reporting function
- Build out an effective finance team from scratch
- Develop and deliver an effective FinOps strategy that builds finance workflows seamlessly throughout Thirdfort
- Prepare and maintain operating budgets, manage and oversee the cash flow of the company ensuring it has the appropriate treasury controls.
- Champion a financial data and metrics focused approach across the business. Enable all teams at Thirdfort to better understand and control the financials that are important to them
- Develop and execute a comprehensive financial strategy to support business growth goals and regulatory requirements, ensuring all accounting activities and internal audits comply with financial regulations.
- Own financial planning workflows, including maintaining and enhancing stress testing methodology and scenarios to ensure they continue to meet the needs of the company and external regulatory requirements.
- Prepare and file financial statements, VAT returns and company income tax returns, as applicable and file regulatory reporting as required by the FCA
- Produce monthly, quarterly and annual forecasting and periodic reporting of financial results to management and the board
- Take an active role in assisting the co-founders with building and maintaining investor relationships
- Take a central role in strategic projects as they arise, from funding rounds, to potential M&A opportunities
- Conduct profit and cost analysis, identifying funding requirements and cost reduction strategies.
- Work closely with the product and operations teams to embed effective finance processes across the business, including client billing, budget controls, forecasting, cost of sale analysis
- Are a qualified chartered accountant (ideally ACA qualified)
- Have experience in a high-growth tech startup or scale-up environment
- Are an expert at financial modelling
- Are a strong collaborator and comfortable working cross-functionally
- Ideally have prior experience of going through a fundraise
- Experience with software we use is a plus (Xero/Looker)
- Are comfortable with a dynamic fast paced environment and can learn quickly
- Are comfortable getting your hands dirty and reviewing detailed models but also able to step back and see the ‘big picture’
- Are able to distill complex information and problems and simplify them into actionable insights for a broad set of stakeholder
- Are comfortable hiring and leading a team of bookkeepers and finance professionals
- The chance to join a high-growth business that's creating the new standard in legal security. As an early team member, you'll play a crucial role in helping us to achieve this
- Flexible working / working from home even beyond covid-19
- Unlimited holidays - we want you to take the right amount of time off so you're refreshed and able to do your best work
- Open and flat culture where everyone has a voice in the culture we're building. Taking ownership, challenging how things are done, and being a team player are all core values for us
- Competitive salary and options in the company
- Free drinks and coffee in the office
- Equal Parental Leave: we offer all parents 12 weeks of fully paid parental leave
- Access to Spill, our mental health partner, as well as bi-weekly yoga classes
- Monthly companywide socials; these are currently virtual but recently we've had a magic show, cocktails, and bingo
- Learning & Development culture. We run bi-weekly lunch & learns and there's lots of opportunity to pick up new skills and push forwards your own personal development. We're also keen to support you with time off and generous budgets for any external training you'd like to take on