Become a specialist in Google Cloud Data Services! If you have an interest in working on innovative data engineering projects with cutting edge technology using Google Cloud Platform.
Senior Data Engineer
Become a specialist in Google Cloud Data Services!
Are you passionate about data? Would you be excited to build cloud first data platforms, potentially processing and storing terabytes of data, and enabling businesses to make better decisions? Are you a quick learner and into working with cutting-edge technologies? If so, let’s talk!
We're hiring for an experienced Data Engineer to design, implement and maintain modern cloud data platforms at scale, utilising both Google Cloud Platform and open source services. This is an opportunity to work with a world leader in data and machine learning technologies.
You’ll work alongside a great GCP Engineering team (Data Engineers, Platform Engineers, Cloud Architects, Software Engineers), taking full ownership of your tasks and responsibilities, with opportunities to do back-end, front-end and infrastructure development.
If you have an interest in working on innovative projects with cutting edge technology using Google Cloud Platform, this job could be a great opportunity for you.
*Please Note: Previous experience with GCP is not a prerequisite, some experience of other public cloud providers (AWS or Azure) would be sufficient.
What you’ll do:
- Work with customers to translate requirements into technical designs and follow this through to delivery of the solution. You will be able to design highly available, complex data platforms, and mentor others to be able to do so.
- Advise customers on modern approaches to data engineering and the best approach to solve their unique problems.
- Understand customer data structures and transformation requirements to build suitable solutions on Google Cloud Platform.
- Design, plan and build highly available, global and cloud native data platforms.
- Develop internal tooling, and improve processes, for the wider team and business.
- Significant commercial experience in the area of data engineering or machine learning.
- Extensive hands-on experience with at least one major cloud provider (GCP, AWS, Azure), including the use of their data related components to build solutions.
- Experience designing and building large data architectures.
- Strong experience building ETL / ELT pipelines, Data Lakes and Data Warehouses.
- Significant experience in using languages like Python, R and SQL as well as Google database services like Firestore, Cloud SQL, Big Query or equivalents from other Cloud Providers
- Experienced in using unit testing and CI / CD
- Ability to think in abstract terms about application structures and strong understanding of security integration implications on this structure
- A solid grounding working with common data modelling techniques and SQL (e.g. MS SQL, Oracle, PostgreSQL, MySQL)
- Working knowledge of data governance principles (e.g. data profiling, data cataloguing, managing access controls, etc.)
- A passion for all things programming, databases, data, big and small
- Experience using Git and related tooling
- A good understanding of some of the following:
Hadoop / Spark | Apache Airflow | Apache Beam | Relational database technologies (Microsoft SQL, Oracle or PostgreSQL) | Teradata | Tensorflow | Analytical tools (Looker, Tableau, Qlik, Data Studio)
- Experience with or knowledge of Google Cloud Platform (e.g. Pub/Sub, Dataflow, BigQuery, Firestore, etc.)
- Experience with or knowledge of AWS (e.g. Athena, EMR, Glue, Redshift, Kinesis, etc) or Azure (e.g. Synapse, Databricks, Data Factory, Event Hub, etc.)
- Exposure to real time data ingestion / streaming data sources
- Experience in or knowledge of working in an agile project based environment
- Bachelor or Masters degree in Computer Science, Data Science or equivalent education
This role could also be remote based in the UK or Netherlands, with occasional travel to CTS offices and customer sites (post-Covid). We have offices in Central Manchester and Utrecht, and shared office spaces in Central London.
What you’ll get:
In addition to the competitive salary, you’ll get private health insurance and company contributed pensions as standard.
We have a multitude of other benefits, including a market leading parental leave policies, health & wellbeing initiatives and access to a discounts and rewards programme (including discounted gym membership)
You’ll be invited to the bi-annual international company ‘kick off’ conferences, which are a great chance to meet your colleagues that you don’t see everyday.
CTS is the largest dedicated Google Cloud practice in Europe and one of the world’s leading cloud transformation experts. We offer a unique full stack Google Cloud solution for businesses, encompassing cloud migration, transformative working and IT infrastructure, through to machine learning, big data and app development.
We have a brilliant team of more than 200 people in offices in Manchester, Edinburgh & Utrecht as well as across our globally remote workforce. But we’re still growing, and that means we need more brilliant people who share our ambition to join our team.