3-4 days per week at home
In this role
You will be working within the delivery function which supports the realtime, infrastructure, web, documentation and product teams to efficiently deliver features, products and continuous improvements to our global cloud platform. You will facilitate the delivery process which helps teams be agile, continuously learn and improve and take ownership of their delivery. You will strive for continuous improvement and be an advocate for agile ways of working
You will be successful if you:
- Are proactive in driving projects forward in a positive way, and want to drive change and operational improvements.
- Enjoy the process of driving continuous improvement and efficiencies for your team, the company and yourself, in a sustainable way.
- Can identify and remove blockers to delivery by getting the right people to collaborate and help resolve issues quickly.
Day to day you will:
- Be a project wrangler: you will assist at planning the delivery of new features across engineering, setting delivery expectations, and resetting them where necessary. You will remove blockers and encourage sensible prioritisation of tasks and goals within the teams. You will help drive the teams to get things done and ensure projects are run efficiently and on time. You will be a point of contact for others outside of the technology team and be able to triage at the drop of a hat.
- Be a team builder: you will work to foster solid agile practices and processes by working with the delivery lead; identifying and implementing initiatives that are aimed at further developing team practices across engineering
- Be a collaborator: You will provide ongoing status updates, through accurate delivery reporting and verbal/written communication.
- Facilitate agile ceremonies such as daily stand-ups, sprint planning and retrospectives.
Ideally, you will have:
- A minimum of two years experience working in a project management or related role
- Highly organised and strong communication skills with the ability to communicate effectively with technical and non technical stakeholders
- Familiar with project management methodologies (Waterfall, Agile, Hybrid)
- Familiar with agile processes (SCRUM, Kanban etc)
- Ability to juggle varying priorities and projects
- Experience in facilitating project meetings
- Technical skills and a technical understanding of the field we operate in
- Comfortable challenging the status quo
- Experience of capacity and resource planning
It would be nice if you have:
- Project management/engineering degree or background
- Experience with project management tools eg Jira, Confluence, Smartsheet
- Experience working with remote teams
- Experience working with third parties
- Experience managing/driving projects independently
What’s it like to work at Ably?
Founded by two engineers who spotted a hard and largely unsolved problem, Ably is, at its heart, an engineering company. To provide the infrastructure required for a high-bandwidth, always-connected world, we hire engineers with a broad set of technical skills who are ready and capable of taking on challenging realtime engineering problems.
As a company and engineering team we’re committed to a future internet that’s open, with all engineers contributing to existing open source projects.
We want to work in a company of inclusive people who treat each other well. As an Ablyan, you’ll enjoy taking ownership and making an impact, with work that is both varied and challenging. To thrive at Ably, you’ll need to believe in and be prepared to do your work in line with our values, which are:
- Open for all. Open is a mindset. When open, we’re better collaborators, communicators and creators. Whether open source, standards, or protocols, open hearts, minds, and eyes. It’s better when it’s open.
- Bias for action. We avoid analysis paralysis at all costs. We lean into doing in order to move us forward. When we have enough of what we need to act, we act.
- Even The Best Do Better. We want to be the best - but that doesn’t mean we rest when we are. Improvement and growth - true betterment - is an ongoing journey. One fuelled by curiosity and taking risks.
- Technology needs humanity. Our technology means little without people - whether that’s how we treat our colleagues, or how we design developer experiences. Being human matters.
- Dependable people make dependable things. Dependability is integral to our mission and technology, but being dependable starts with our people. When we care enough to take real ownership of our products and problems - all else will follow.
- Bold creativity leads to the greatest rewards. When viewed through a different lense, what stands in the way can become the way. The bigger the challenge the easier the choice: bold creativity will always move us forward, create better outcomes, and set us apart.
What’s in it for you?
- A great company culture
- Share options
- The chance to learn and grow with a fast-moving company, supported by a learning budget that gives you access to professional training, events, conferences, workshops etc.
- Remote first: Unless you want to pop into our communal office space in Shoreditch, London, you’ll work from home most of the time, apart from when we have planning sessions and Summits. Travel to the office is at the employee's expense, apart from when we have Ably Summits
- Your choice of high quality tech kit to work on
- Home workstation set up budget of £500, plus an annual top-up of £150
- Regular company away days and social events
- Friday need-to-know drinks and snacks
- Private health insurance, including Doctor@Hand
- Access to private and confidential coaching or counselling via Sanctus
- 24/7 Employee Assistance Programme with AXA
- A monthly wellbeing budget with Juno
- 25 days of paid annual leave (33 days including bank holidays)
- 10 days of paid sick leave (including mental health days) per year
- Dog friendly office for when you’re in the office!
If you enjoy working as part of a technology company, value open source, and love solving hard problems - then we’d love to hear from you, regardless of whether you fit the spec exactly or not. If in doubt, drop us an email; we’d be more than happy to give you some advice on your application.
We believe our differences as individuals is what makes us great. Our people are at the heart of what we do, and we encourage everyone to be their most authentic self at Ably: we see inclusivity and openness as fundamental to creating long-term success as an organization. We encourage applications from all backgrounds regardless of age, disability, gender, sexual orientation, parental status, race, religion, educational background or neurodiversity. Ably has an amazing opportunity ahead of us, and we want anyone to be able to contribute to that opportunity.