Unmind are looking for an Engineering Manager to join their team.
Unmind is a workplace mental health platform. We empower employees to live more fulfilling and balanced lives by changing the way organisations around the world think about mental health. We believe that everyone has the right to a healthy mind – because we all have mental health, all of the time – and we’re striving to create a world where mental health is universally understood, nurtured, and celebrated.
In the past 12 months, Unmind has grown from a 30 person team to a fast-growing, 120 person global organisation with offices in London, Sydney, and New York. With the recent announcement of our Series B funding, we're looking forward to our next stage of growth which will enable us to deliver on our mission to improve the mental wellbeing of ten million people in organisations around the world.
We have ambitious plans to change the perception of mental health and we still need help in achieving them– which is why we’re looking for an exceptional individual to join as an Engineering Manager.
Uniting Behind Uniqueness
We are committed to building an inclusive workplace and encourage everyone to bring their whole selves to work. However you identify, and whatever background you bring with you, we welcome you to apply for a role at Unmind.
If there are any adjustments that would help improve your experience with Unmind, please do let us know when you apply.
We also believe our interview process should be inclusive and transparent. Find out what to expect and more about our commitment to diversity on our candidate FAQs page here. As always, if there is anything missing, or you've identified a way we can improve, just let us know!
The Role – Engineering Manager - Foundations
We are looking for an experienced Engineering Manger to lead- and support the teams in our Foundations collective, a group of cross-functional teams that design-, build- and look after the core services of the Unmind platform. Their ultimate goal is to enable multiple teams across Unmind to scale sustainably and robustly to reach more users in the global market.
This role has a clear path to progress to a Head of Platform Engineering role as we continue to add teams to the Foundations collective.
Things you'll do in this role
We’re scaling quickly, which means that the focus and responsibilities of any position can be quite dynamic – but here’s how we initially see your skills and passion coming to life at Unmind:
Lead & Mentor - As our Engineering Leads manage most of the Engineers within their team, you will primarily manage the Engineering Leads, supporting not just their long term development but also coaching them in leading an effective team.
Own - In addition to your role responsibilities, we use the Directly Responsible Individual (DRI) framework, where individuals can have clear ownership of frameworks, events, guidelines, ceremonies or services that support our Engineering- & Product Development ways of working.
Drive - Working with your peers- and teams, you will drive the right balance of being agile vs. having a level of predictability, striving to meet goals that the teams have set.
Collaborate - You will work closely with your team and stakeholders, making sure we continue to adapt our collaboration workflows to optimise transparency and cross team prioritisation.
Plan - You will help your teams with delivery planning, especially for work that impacts multiple teams, taking into consideration capacity and exploring how we can either amend plans or improve capacity.
Skills and Experience
We firmly believe that no one is the finished article and that there should be learning in every role you do. However, some experience in the following is important for the role.
- Experience with supporting multiple product development teams in an Agile environment e.g. with delivery planning, capacity planning, hiring and setting quarterly goals.
- Experience & passion for developing others through coaching- and mentoring; helping engineers realise and achieve their mid- or long term career goals.
- Good understanding of how teams can use metrics- and data to inform key product and technical decisions.
- Passionate about mental health, tech-for-good, and generally improving people’s lives
- Comfortable working in an environment of rapid growth, constant change, and lots of unknowns
- Excited to play a part in making Unmind the global category leader of workplace mental health
At Unmind we believe in having a whole person approach and we hope that our benefits enhance the lives of Unminders, helping them be happy, healthy and fulfilled. You can see the full details of our benefits on the careers page, but they include:
To support you throughout everyday life at Unmind
- Private Medical Insurance for you and your family
- Pension | 401(k) | Superannuation
- Global EAP
- Life Insurance
- Unmind Equity scheme
Taking time to celebrate and experience the important moments in life.
- 25 days annual leave plus your birthday day off
- Flexible working, including flexible use of Public Holidays
- Summer Fridays
- Celebration days
- £1,000 annual learning budget with 2 days learning leave
- Gender-neutral parental leave policy and Parental coaching
Ensuring Unminders have access to tools that enrich both their bodies and their minds.
- Monthly ClassPass Subscription
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Regular company socials and wellbeing activities
- Friend and family access to the Unmind platform
- Office perks (free on-site gym, rooftop seating, community events)
- Dog-friendly workplace