Engineering Manager (Cloud Platform Engineering)
We are a remote-first company; whichever location you’re contracted to, we leave it up to you and your manager to agree on how often you come into the office. To make things easier we offer an allowance so you can create your own working space at home because we REALLY mean it when we say remote first.
Your health and well-being are of paramount importance to us, and so our jampacked Employee Benefits reflect this!
We offer a competitive salary, an individual learning and development budget, a pension or 401K contribution, mental health days and comprehensive health care that includes annual optical and dental allowances, access to Mental Health support and a monthly allowance that you can spend on anything health or wellness related!
At the moment we are unable to consider applicants living outside of our entities and we are unable to provide Visa sponsorship.
We aren’t currently looking for additional Recruiter support on this role and won’t be accepting any unsolicited CVs
Currencycloud is somewhere where innovative thinking and the power of technology know no limits. We know that the success of the business depends on the people who keep it moving, which is why we are looking for exceptional talent to join our international payments revolution.
We are an open & collaborative Fintech unicorn that lives and breathes our company values:
Be Human, Better Together and Own it.
We are seeking an Engineering Manager to lead our Cloud Platform Engineering team reporting to the Head of Platform Engineering.
This is a hands-on technical role, providing leadership for a team of cloud engineers responsible for delivering 'Internal Developer Experience' and Infrastructure products.
What you'll get to do...
- Provide technical leadership to a team of cloud engineers
- Take a full part, as other duties allow, in hands on software development
- Provide people stewardship to a team of direct reports
Work with the product manager to:
- Manage the flow of work through the team
- Remove blockers to delivery of value
- Map the business requirements to technical deliverables
- Facilitate the continual improvement of delivery processes
- Prioritise the work in the team’s backlog
Work with the Platform leadership team to:
- Map the strategic business needs to the platform roadmap
- Agree ownership for deliverables on the platform roadmap
- Evangelise platform products to drive adoption
- Provide organisation wide leadership in driving DevOps maturity
- Define Cloud-Native standards for the wider organisation
Work with the team to:
- Understand and manage the flow of work in progress
- Identify and manage delivery risks
- Break deliverables down into small easily manageable units
- Contribute to the writing of code and continual delivery to production
- Foster an environment of continual learning and improvement
- Provide mentorship as appropriate
- Identify opportunities for team members to take ownership and responsibility
What Skills are Required?
- Ability to work in a team and understand how to make a group more than the sum of its parts
- Ability to recognise and write good quality code individually or as part of a pair
- Ability to provide objective critiques of code and deliverables with a view to constantly improving quality
- Excellent people stewardship skills including: Understanding how to have difficult conversations, giving and receiving regular and valuable feedback and helping direct reports to articulate their career aspirations and helping them to achieve them
- Excellent communication and presentation skills including: Tailoring messaging to the audience, understanding the right level of abstraction for a given discussion and preparing clear and succinct written presentations for stakeholders
- Ability to understand and focus on the most important things
- Ability to lead discussions on technical and non technical decisions
- AWS tools and technologies
- CI / CD tools and techniques, Infrastructure as code using e.g. Terraform of CloudFormation
- High level understanding of cloud concepts such as auto scaling, disaster recovery and finops
- Experience of Relational Database technologies would be a bonus
- Leadership of an engineering team (not necessarily an infrastructure focused team)
- Demonstrable experience of making high level technology focussed decisions and achieving buy-in for those decisions
- Demonstrable experience of presenting solutions to stakeholders and driving adoption of those solutions
- Experience in infrastructure as code for provisioning, either as an applications developer or an infrastructure engineer
- Experience of common cloud infrastructure frameworks such as Kubernetes
- Experience with Cloud Native tools and techniques such as Monitoring and alerting
- Nice to have:
- Designed software and / or platforms used by other developers, and have supported those developers with the adoption of your solutions
- Demonstrable experience providing tools and solutions to applications developers to support DevOps and Cloud Native maturity
- Demonstrable experience of developing CI/CD pipelines and supporting technologies