Made Tech are looking for a Cloud/DevOps Engineer to join their team.
Cloud / DevOps Engineer 🚀
Salary: Up to £81,000 depending on experience
Location: Remote (However required to visit our Bristol site once a month)
Our Cloud Engineers deliver digital, data and technology outcomes that improve society. They do this by architecting and delivering cloud solutions, and coaching others to do so both within Made Tech and in public sector organisations.
We are looking for Cloud Engineers with a love for cloud, automation, slick tooling, and empowering software delivery through coaching teams. While we are looking for Cloud Engineers that are able to demonstrate significant expertise in the design and execution of cloud-based solutions, we expect all of our engineers to have a solid grasp of software engineering fundamentals.What does the job entail?
At Made Tech we want to positively impact the future of the country by using technology to improve society. We help public sector organisations deliver quality software to help citizens get more from public services. To do this we work alongside brilliant public servants to modernise technology and accelerate digital delivery.
As a Cloud Engineer you will combine your technical excellence, drive to deliver and coaching skills to achieve outcomes for our customers and their users, and to establish strong engineering cultures within our customers organisations.
High performing software delivery teams need to be empowered to iteratively and rapidly deliver changes all the way through to production. To do this we combine our extensive software engineering and cloud automation knowledge with DevOps culture.
We've been using AWS and other cloud platforms from the start and, as AWS Partners, are go to experts within the public sector. We use a range of IaaS, PaaS and FaaS depending on the needs of our users such as EC2, Lambda, ECS, Kubernetes, Heroku, CloudFoundry, Azure App Services, and more. We use AWS VPC and PrivateLink or Azure VNet for connecting to on-premise, legacy systems.. You will have the opportunity to use and learn these technologies and we offer official AWS and other cloud training.
We ensure we document our architecture and infrastructure as code, using technologies such as Terraform. Containerisation is a big part of empowering our teams to develop, deploy and scale their applications, but so too is using serverless technologies to avoid the complexity of stateful services altogether. We believe in pragmatic selection of the right tool for the job.
For us, DevOps is about culture rather than roles and titles. Even though this role is for someone with strong DevOps experience, the biggest impact you will have is coaching and helping teams use the platforms you build. You won't be building infrastructure in isolation or charged with deploying other peoples work into production. You'll empower teams with the mantra: you build it, you run it!
You will have the opportunity to work across a variety of cloud technologies and client engagements and will need to be comfortable doing so. You’ll be equally happy providing cloud consultancy to an engineering team as you will working within a team of other cloud engineers helping to build and maintain the infrastructure required to deliver services at scale in the public sector. Your role will be to provide cloud and DevOps expertise in varied situations and you’ll relish the chance to coach others towards best practices while being empathetic to their environmental constraints.
You will need to be comfortable sharing your knowledge and skills with others. We’d love to hear some examples of mentoring, coaching and growing team members. Maybe you will have written some blog posts about your discipline, or perhaps even delivered a talk or two.
What experience are we looking for?
While we will look for you to have experience in these things, if you don’t have some of these don’t let that stop you applying.
- Deep working knowledge of developing and maintaining AWS or Azure infrastructure
- Infrastructure as code technologies such as Terraform and Cloud Formation
- Configuration management and server provisioning tooling and scripting
- Debugging infrastructure
- Building out and maintaining CI/CD pipelines
- Delivered in an agile environment
- Worked within a strong DevOps culture
- Worked extensively with Cloud Native containerised infrastructure
- Worked with more than one programming/scripting language
- Worked with relational and non-relational databases
- Worked with APIs
- Written code with tests
- Security first mindset
- Data driven decision making
- Evidence of self-development – we value keen learners
- Drive to deliver outcomes for users
- Desire to mentor others
- Empathy and people skills
Don’t forget to mention any of the experience listed below. While it’s optional, it’s all highly desired!
- AWS DevOps Engineer Professional, Microsoft DevOps Engineer Expert or GCP Professional Cloud DevOps Engineer level qualification
- Experience using a wide-breadth of AWS services including EC2, Lambda, ECS, EKS, API Gateway, S3, CloudFront, SQS, SNS, SES, RDS, or equivalent services in Azure or GCP
- Networking knowledge
- Working directly with customers and users
- Writing blog posts and giving talks
- Working within multidisciplinary teams with product, design, and technology working within the same cycles
- Showcasing and presentation skills
- Agile practices such as Scrum, XP, and/or Kanban
- Pair programming – we pair around 50% of the time
- We are passionate about testing, experience of TDD, BDD and implementation of automated testing frameworks within CI/CD pipelines
- Familiarity with architectural and design patterns
- Use of architectural decision records
- Incident management, failing fast but learning from our mistakes with RCA’s
- Understanding of the full software delivery lifecycle
- Continuous testing, telemetry, monitoring and observability of Infrastructure and Applications
- Build artefact management
We are always listening to our growing teams and evolving the benefits available to our people. As we scale, as do our benefits and we are scaling quickly. We've recently introduced a flexible benefit platform which includes a Smart Tech scheme, Cycle to work scheme, and an individual benefits allowance which you can invest in a Health care cash plan or Pension plan. We’re also big on connection and have an optional social and wellbeing calendar of events for all employees to join should they choose to.
Here are some of our most popular benefits listed below:✈️ Flexible Holiday 🕰️ Flexible Working Hours 👶 Flexible Parental Leave 👩💻 Remote Working 🤗 Paid counselling🏖️ Paid anniversary break
More information can be found here
Our internal culture mission is to nurture and support a happy, healthy, safe and inspiring culture for people of all backgrounds and experiences. The Tech industry doesn’t reflect the wide range of lived experiences of our society. At Made Tech we encourage all people but especially those from underrepresented groups to apply for roles with us. We want to make the world of tech more equitable for all, which first starts with giving everyone who wants to enter this industry a fair chance.
If you have any questions about this vacancy, please reach out to email@example.com