We are hiring a Backend Engineer with experience in PHP to join our talented engineering team. We’re enabling great businesses to succeed through equity crowdfunding, and as a Backend Engineer at Crowdcube, you have the opportunity to help define and shape that experience for entrepreneurs and investors alike.
Who we are:
As a leading European retail investment marketplace, Crowdcube raises finance for Europe's hottest high-growth businesses by giving investors the opportunity to back businesses they believe in. Having amassed an investor community of over 1 million people, which has funded over 1,000 businesses, Crowdcube was named the most active investor in private equity in 2020.
Crowdcube was inspired by an unshakable belief in entrepreneurs that dream big, push at the edges and want to make a difference. Our mission is to democratise investment, helping to fuel the next generation of business who want to leave a mark on the world.
Since founding in 2011, we’ve successfully funded over 1,000 campaigns with brands from across the globe, such as Monzo, Brewdog, Grind, Cowboy, Mintos and what3words.
What we stand for:
We believe in a culture of curiosity. We love new thinking and big ideas that challenge the status quo. We know success is rarely free; it’s hard-fought and a struggle that often requires grit, tenacity and hard work. We value the power of people and know that we’re stronger together. We adore ambition, whatever it may be, to make a difference, to have an impact.
We’re on the hunt for talented individuals with an entrepreneurial spirit. Are you with us?
What you will be doing:
To help us continue to scale and grow our business, we need to enable our team to deliver quickly and safely on our ambitious plans. You will be part of a team that sets out what we build and how, you will be influencing discussions around architecture, and will play a key part in conversations about the evolution of the platform.
Day to day you will:
You will be joining an agile team, our engineers work in small product-focused teams where collaboration is key. You will add real value to our talented team if you are keen to share your knowledge, successes, and failures. We hire for good judgement and trust you to contribute to discussions. We want to build things simply and quickly, it's not about over-engineering it! We are advocates of using the right tools for the right job.
Ideally you will:
- Be proficient in PHP (Laravel or Symfony) and ObjectOriented in general
- Have practical experience of API design, REST/RPC, and knowledge of OAuth2
- Have knowledge of message queues, RabbitMQ in particular
- Have a keen eye for testing, performance and clean code
- Ability to write clean (understandable), robust (reliable) and efficient (well-designed) code
Some of the things it would be nice to see:
- Startup experience
- Finance (equity/shares/share register) knowledge
- Any DevOps experience
- Experience with TypeScript
- Experience with server-side rendering (React)
- Are a self-starter, proactive and well-versed in seeking out answers, keen to invest time into learning the product and understanding business context
- Work well in a team, you ask for help and are equally generous with your own time to share knowledge with others on the team.
- Approach problems in a logical, informed manner, enabling you to propose valid technical solutions to the challenges proposed.
- Demonstrate a real interest in software engineering, new technologies and approaches
- Take ownership of your work and take pride in carrying out & contributing to a project from start to finish.
What we are offering:
We like to nurture talent and ensure members of our team develop and hone their skills through training, attending conferences, subscriptions to online courses. We’re passionate and hard-working, and we take care of our team:
- £30-50k DOE
- Participation in the employee share option plan (subject to the prevailing company policy at the time)
- 25 days holiday + bank holidays + holiday for tenure
- Pension Scheme at 4% matched
- Private Medical Scheme with AXA including dental and optical cash plans
- Life Assurance Scheme
- Access to Sunlight - a learning & development platform with a £1000 training and wellness budget per year
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Weekly demos to show what we're working on, monthly team meetings and regular company socials.
- Company perks such as fruit, snacks, fitness classes and weekly office beers
- Company outings and activities (previous fun included a trip to a gin distillery, karaoke, charity football match, Square Mile Relay, bowling and a day at River Cottage)
Our interview process typically consists of an initial phone screen, an interview with the hiring manager and a task, followed by a final interview with other members of the team. There aren't any trick questions and the task will typically be based on a real scenario the team have worked on.
Our policy is to employ the best-qualified people and provide equal opportunity for the advancement of employees including promotion and training and not to discriminate against any person because of gender, race, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, religion, belief or disability.
We are a flexible workplace. Cuber Choice enables Cubers and future Cubers to do their best work, in whatever way is best for them and the business. We commit to treating all employees equally, whether they are home or office-based. We do not reward presenteeism but focus on impact. Employees may choose a different work schedule to meet personal or family needs. This includes early finishes, late starts, selecting your own working hours, and you may also choose to split your time between home and office.