This is a Web Developer role in the Development team at Conscious, building and maintaining client websites on both WordPress and our own proprietary CMS platform, at our 38-person web agency in the heart of Bristol.
The right candidate for this role will have experience of working with WordPress, with a practical knowledge of building responsive and performant websites.
You will be comfortable with WordPress theme development, with experience of developing your own themes and functionality - you don’t just settle for relying on plugins to implement simple functionality.
Likewise, your understanding of how a CMS generally operates means that your skills are transferable to other platforms, which you may have experience of from another role or perhaps you’re just inquisitive and like to dabble in your own time!
Reporting to the Head of Development, your main duty will be to build responsive websites on both WordPress and the Conscious Platform, working closely alongside our Project Management, Design and Content teams. It is here that your professional experience in building websites and your ability to interpret Sketch designs into well-crafted, well-proportioned websites will really shine.
The varying scale of your builds (20hrs – 100hrs) and interaction with multiple teams will require you to have both strong organisational and planning skills, as well as a confidence to participate and advise in internal project meetings.
Clear communication and a confident phone manner will make it easy to liaise directly with clients to clarify requirements and demonstrate changes.
Similarly, your eye for design will be tested, as you will need to be able to discuss requirements with clients and offer them practical advice on design related modifications to their website.
Applicants must have the following experience, evidenced in a professional capacity:-
- WordPress development (or similar PHP CMS)
- Can write clean, semantic HTML
- A solid understanding of CSS fundamentals
Experience with/of the following is desirable:-
- Website performance (Core Web Vitals)
- Website accessibility
- Task runners and build tools (Gulp)
- Working with databases (SQL based)
- Version control tools (Git)
- Design software (Sketch, Figma, Photoshop)
Salary & Benefits
- Dependent on experience but expected to be in the range of £35,000 - £45,000
- 25 days annual holiday + Bank Holidays
- Contributory pension
- 2 days charity work per year
- Highly–sociable company, partaking in fundraising events, social events. Christmas & summer parties (as you’d expect!)
- Awesome staff area
- Free eye tests
- Long Service rewards and recognition
- A staff referral scheme giving you the opportunity to earn up to £400 for recommending a friend.
- CycleToWork and Techscheme schemes in place
- Our office is located at Royal London Buildings, 42-46 Baldwin Street, Bristol, BS1 1PN or some other location central Bristol should we ever move.
- The majority of the team are currently all working from home with a few people in the office and a plan in place for a fully flexible approach to work going forward. Remember, “work is a thing you do, not a place you go”.
Hours of Work
- Monday to Friday.
- 37.5 hours per week.
- 9.00am to 5.30pm (unless otherwise agreed).
Liam Hegenbarth, Head of Development