Wefarm are looking for a Fullstack Clojure Engineer to operate within a cross-functional squad and work very closely with a Tech Lead, Product Manager and UX Designer to make sure they're solving challenges that will bring the greatest value to their members.
Wefarm is the world’s largest platform connecting the small-scale farming community. Millions of farmers, retailers, and brands come together on Wefarm to grow their businesses.
Small-scale farming is one of the largest and most important industries in the world, with over one billion people globally involved in it. We’re working towards connecting this community so small-scale farmers can gain a better position in global agricultural supply chains. Some of the world’s leading VCs are backing us on this mission, including True Ventures in Silicon Valley.
Since our launch in 2015, we’ve grown to serve over two million farmers across Kenya, Uganda, and Tanzania. Our platform has facilitated the (free) exchange of over 18 million messages to share knowledge, generated over $5 million in marketplace sales, and sold nearly half a million products.
So far, we’ve partnered with 100+ brands to give our members fair prices on the quality products they are looking for.
Our next milestone is to have 100 million farmers benefiting from Wefarm. Join us and be part of our mission to build an ecosystem for global agriculture, with the farmer at the centre..
You incorporate learnings from user tests into scalable solutions and work with the other Engineers to drive their implementation, maintenance and support.
Outcome 1: Squad goals are accomplished through:
- Communicating and collaborating effectively
- Working with the other engineers to drive rapid delivery
- Contributing ideas to help shape the product
- Iteratively building solutions based on user feedback
- Establishing clearly defined OKRs and priorities
Outcome 2: Products are built with a high quality of technical execution
- Clean and efficient idiomatic functional code is clearly documented
- Solutions are designed, tested and deployed in a simple and scalable way
- With a pragmatic approach to speed of delivery and robustness of solution
- Technical proposals, knowledge and learnings are continually shared across team boundaries
Key Skills and Attributes
- Bring a positive "can-do" energy to your team
- Have a bias towards delivery
- Highly proficient at developing scalable web applications
- Be an exceptional problem solver
- Be driven to create impactful products
- Enjoy being part of a cross-functional team
- Be comfortable working in a start-up environment
- Have a passion for using tech for good
- Have experience or a very keen interest in Clojure and Kafka
- Communicate and articulate yourself effectively
- Enjoy learning new things
Rewards package and remuneration
Wefarm is a global business that believes in flexible working and shared ownership.
Every Wefarmer is a shareholder in the business; we are all the makers and owners of Wefarm’s vision. We also offer pension packages and healthcare benefits, which vary slightly by location of employment, and global mental health support services through Spill.
As a global business we believe that remote first is the future of work, and support our teams in creating the best setup for their personal situation; every Wefarmer gets the standard tech they need and a stipend to set up their home office & we offer flexible office bases in our four main hub cities. Being remote first doesn’t mean we don’t spend time together though; we have regular global team events (virtual for now) and local meet ups (where possible), bi-weekly All Hands meeting to make sure everyone is up to date, and will get back to our annual WeCamp global get togethers as soon as we can do that safely.
Our interview process normally consists of the following steps
- A quick half hour call with our internal recruiter
- An hour video call focusing on culture, values and communication
- You'll then be given a technical challenge to do in your own time. This normally takes no longer than an hour to complete.
- An hour pairing extending the technical challenge
- Lastly a further hour video interview covering more technical skills and answering any further questions
Sometimes a follow-up call will be needed to cover any additional questions that either you or we may have.
Equal Opportunity Statement
At Wefarm, we’re building a place where everyone belongs and can add value, regardless of their background - and our team is no different. We’re working hard to create a diverse and inclusive culture where we take inspiration from different experiences, backgrounds and ways of thinking. If you share our values and enthusiasm for connecting the world’s small-scale farmers, you may be a great fit for Wefarm.