Wefarm are looking for an ambitious and highly motivated Accounts Payable Lead to join them on the next stage of their journey.
As a post Series A start-up, life at Wefarm is fast paced, and presents a huge opportunity to learn and develop as a finance professional.
Wefarm is the world’s largest platform connecting the small-scale farming community. Millions of farmers, retailers, and brands come together on Wefarm to grow their businesses.
Small-scale farming is one of the largest and most important industries in the world, with over one billion people globally involved in it. We’re working towards connecting this community so small-scale farmers can gain a better position in global agricultural supply chains. Some of the world’s leading VCs are backing us on this mission, including True Ventures in Silicon Valley.
Since our launch in 2015, we’ve grown to serve over two million farmers across Kenya, Uganda, and Tanzania. Our platform has facilitated the (free) exchange of over 18 million messages to share knowledge, generated over $5 million in marketplace sales, and sold nearly half a million products.
So far, we’ve partnered with 100+ brands to give our members fair prices on the quality products they are looking for.
Our next milestone is to have 100 million farmers benefiting from Wefarm. Join us and be part of our mission to build an ecosystem for global agriculture, with the farmer at the centre.
Reporting to our Kenya-based Finance Manager and working closely with the broader finance team, you’ll be responsible for Accounts Payable and Accounting tasks for our Tanzanian entity.
What you’ll be doing:
- Responsible for day to day activities related to receiving and processing of AP invoices including expenses management.
- Ensure AP accounting policies and procedures are adhered to at all times. Works closely with personnel in other departments to highlight any issues and provide training where necessary to ensure ongoing compliance.
- Ensure proper general ledger coding for cash and AP transactions. Also ensure proper cost center allocation
- Ensure proper accounting of all invoice related taxes e.g. VAT and WHT
- Prepare the weekly payment runs for approval and manage the upload of the same in Xero and banks.
- Perform bank reconciliations and support the cash flow management process
- Assist with completion of AP month-end close financial reporting processes by preparing the necessary supports and reconciliation of balances in xero
- Contribute to the preparation of monthly budget variance reports to support management in the review of operational performance and cost allocations.
- Assist and provide support for all audit queries as may be required
- Providing finance support to local teams in Tanzania and be aware of local business trends
- Helping in engaging with local banks, regulators and tax authorities in collaboration with the Finance Manager
You should have:
- Hold a bachelor's degree in accounting or a business related degree
- Minimum of 2 years experience in a similar role.
- Must be proficient in spoken and written English
- Must be well versed in Microsoft Office and G Suite tools
- Must be well versed in Accounting Software such as Xero
- Must be aware of all local tax requirements and ETR/EFD receipt processes.
- Must be a good team player and ready to collaborate with team members
- Should be ready to learn and do research on new trends and compliance requirements
Rewards package and remuneration:
Wefarm is a global business that believes in flexible working and shared ownership.
Every Wefarmer is a shareholder in the business; we are all the makers and owners of Wefarm’s vision. We also offer pension packages and healthcare benefits, which vary slightly by location of employment, and global mental health support services through Spill.
As a global business we believe that remote first is the future of work, and support our teams in creating the best setup for their personal situation; every Wefarmer gets the standard tech they need and a stipend to set up their home office & we offer flexible office bases in our four main hub cities. Being remote first doesn’t mean we don’t spend time together though; we have regular global team events (virtual for now) and local meet ups (where possible), bi-weekly All Hands meeting to make sure everyone is up to date, and will get back to our annual WeCamp global get togethers as soon as we can do that safely.
Equal Opportunity Statement
At Wefarm, we’re building a place where everyone belongs and can add value, regardless of their background - and our team is no different. We’re working hard to create a diverse and inclusive culture where we take inspiration from different experiences, backgrounds and ways of thinking. If you share our values and enthusiasm for connecting the world’s small-scale farmers, you may be a great fit for Wefarm.