Ably are looking for a Distributed Systems Engineer to help them to build the infrastructure and technology that will power and shape the future of a digital world where realtime interactions underpin our personal and professional daily lives. Chatting on WhatsApp, hailing an Uber, asking Alexa what the weather will be like tomorrow, collaborating in the same Google Doc: all of these things rely on complex, behind-the-scenes realtime infrastructure. That’s what Ably provides for companies like HubSpot, Toyota Racing Development, OfferUp, and Hopin.
The opportunity in front of us is immense. Our mission is to become the definitive realtime infrastructure of the internet while powering and accelerating adoption of realtime user experiences. Ably is on track: everyday we deliver billions of realtime messages to more than 100 million people in 80 different countries across web, mobile, and IoT platforms. But we can’t rest yet. In a couple of years we want to reach one billion people everyday through the same and new channels.
What we do
Ably’s engineering team is deeply technical, collectively bringing a wealth of experience and broad technology skills across infrastructure, security, distributed systems, and much more. The calibre of the code we produce is what excites and motivates us each day. If you enjoy solving hard distributed system problems that are mostly platform agnostic and theoretical in nature, then you'll love working at Ably.
In this role:
You'll be working with a deeply technical engineering team who collectively bring a wealth of experience and broad technology skills. The calibre of the code we produce is what excites us each day and motivates us. If you enjoy solving hard distributed system problems that are mostly platform agnostic and theoretical in nature, then you'll love working at Ably.
Day to day you can expect to:
- Work on the core realtime platform which is largely Node.js and Go. We are looking for developers who have a strong track record in at least one of these technologies.
- Solve distributed systems problems. Find out what it takes to be a distributed systems engineer.
- Own and be responsible for the complete lifecycle of your features and code, all the way through to deployment.
- Contribute to open source projects that we support or use in our products, including our open source client libraries.
Skills & Experience:
General: We are looking for candidates that can demonstrate an interest in technically challenging topics in computing, especially relating to realtime and distributed systems, networking and systems programming. Successful candidates will be able to demonstrate their ability to contribute and solve problems in these areas via professional experience and/or personal projects. Ultimately, ability will outweigh specific experience when reviewing candidates for this position.
Experience: We don't have any specific experience requirements that are essential for the role. We will strongly prefer candidates that do have a track record with Node.js and ideally Go, or can show experience in solving problems in distributed systems, and ideally have some familiarity with systems-level programming as well experience with high-level languages.
Open source: We prefer developers who have contributed back to the open source community, even if those contributions are small.
What’s it like to work at Ably?
Founded by two engineers who spotted a hard and largely unsolved problem, Ably is, at its heart, an engineering company. To provide the infrastructure required for a high-bandwidth, always-connected world, we hire engineers with a broad set of technical skills who are ready and capable of taking on challenging realtime engineering problems.
As a company and engineering team we’re committed to a future internet that’s open, with all engineers contributing to existing open source projects.
We want to work in a company of inclusive people who treat each other well. As an Ablyan, you’ll enjoy taking ownership and making an impact, with work that is both varied and challenging. To thrive at Ably, you’ll need to believe in and be prepared to do your work in line with our values, which are:
- Open for all. Open is a mindset. When open, we’re better collaborators, communicators and creators. Whether open source, standards, or protocols, open hearts, minds, and eyes. It’s better when it’s open.
- Bias for action. We avoid analysis paralysis at all costs. We lean into doing in order to move us forward. When we have enough of what we need to act, we act.
- Even the best do better. We want to be the best - but that doesn’t mean we rest when we are. Improvement and growth - true betterment - is an ongoing journey. One fuelled by curiosity and taking risks.
- Technology needs humanity. Our technology means little without people - whether that’s how we treat our colleagues, or how we design developer experiences. Being human matters.
- Dependable people make dependable things. Dependability is integral to our mission and technology, but being dependable starts with our people. When we care enough to take real ownership of our products and problems - all else will follow.
- Bold creativity leads to the greatest rewards. When viewed through a different lens, what stands in the way can become the way. The bigger the challenge the easier the choice: bold creativity will always move us forward, create better outcomes, and set us apart.
What’s in it for you?
- A good, competitive salary
- A great company culture
- Share options
- The chance to learn and grow with a fast-moving company, supported by a learning budget that gives you access to professional training, events, conferences, workshops etc.
- Remote first: Unless you want to pop into our communal office space in Shoreditch, London, you'll work from home most of the time, apart from when we have planning sessions and summits
- Your choice of high quality tech kit to work on
- Home workstation set up
- Dog friendly office for when you’re in the office!
- Regular company away days and social events
- Friday need-to-know drinks and snacks
- Health insurance, including Doctor@Hand
- Employee Assistance Programme
- A monthly wellbeing budget with Juno
- Cycle to work
- Company contributions towards your pension
- 25 days of paid annual leave (33 days including bank holidays)
If you enjoy working as part of a technology company, value open source, and love solving hard problems - then we’d love to hear from you, regardless of whether you fit the spec exactly or not.
We encourage applications from all backgrounds regardless of age, disability, gender, sexual orientation, parental status, race or religion.