Whereby are looking for an Engineering Manager (Product) to build, nurture and empower cross-functional product engineering teams at Whereby. You'll create a healthy team environment where engineers can do their best work, grow in their careers, and have a measurable impact on the business and its customers.
Whereabouts: We work within CET +/- 6 hours and have some restrictions on hiring engineering
Interviews: Around 4-6 hours over a few weeks, including some practical work
Salary: Starting at £83,000
*Note: We have no “caps” on our salary, and you can read our full compensation philosophy here. If our advertised salary doesn’t suit your current expectations, just let us know and we’re very open to discussing further.
Reporting to: Joel Overton, our Director of Engineering
Ask us anything: firstname.lastname@example.org
“I’ve never seen a job being done by a five-hundred-person engineering team that couldn’t be done better by fifty people.”- C. Gordon Bell
Please note: If you aren’t seeing this role advertised on https://jobs.lever.co/whereby the role is likely closed for new applications. Unfortunately, we are not always in control of where our roles are posted as many websites post our roles without our express consent. For this reason, you may be reading out of date information - we are so sorry about that. Our careers team is always on hand to answer questions, drop us a line at email@example.com
Your mission at Whereby*
As an Engineering Manager (Product) your mission is to build, nurture and empower cross-functional product engineering teams at Whereby. You'll create a healthy team environment where engineers can do their best work, grow in their careers, and have a measurable impact on the business and its customers.
*This is the mission that moves you and your team through our strategic roadmap, and will likely be your focus for a year or more.
What is Whereby all about
Freedom to work from anywhere: our mission with Whereby is to give people freedom to live and work where they thrive.
📍 Our global HQ is in Oslo, Norway, but our users (and team) are worldwide - having been used in nearly every country in the world by millions of folk. 🌏
By making it possible to collaborate as well over video as you can in real life, we want to give you the choice to work from where your life happens. To allow you to be in a place where you can think and focus, but also allow a seamless and instant connection with others when you need to.
For our 100 team members, and also for our customers, we know that the ability to decouple location from work can be life-changing. They can afford the house they want, can spend less time commuting, be closer to nature, and their children get to grow up seeing their grandparents every day. Everyone on our team enjoys the enormous benefits that a flexible work policy brings, and we truly believe the future of work will gravitate towards our vision of the future.
Engineering at Whereby
We strongly believe in the superpowers of a well-led, and expertly designed engineering team. We are an engineering-centric business who hopes to scale our operation sustainably, with beautiful code, an ethical approach to our users and data, and an innovative opinion on new technologies in the market. We try to ensure both that we're building the right thing and building the thing right. We analyse data, talk to users, prototype and iterate. We focus on discovering and solving user problems, not just building and shipping features. As a member of our engineering team you’ll take on a key role in this process and see your work be used by millions of users worldwide.
🔍 What we're looking for in our Engineering Manager (Product)
We're looking for someone with experience as a line-manager of engineers and tech leads, with a technical background in product companies like ours.
👉 If you're a great manager but Product Engineering isn't your area of expertise, you might be better suited for the Engineering Manager (Platform) role instead.
👉 If you've got Product Engineering work in mind but line-management isn't your strength, you could consider the Senior Web Engineer (Product) role.
🌎 We believe in everyone
We fundamentally believe talent is distributed to all of us in equal measure. We open our doors (physical or url) to everyone and we see our differences as a strength; it’s this philosophy that drives us towards our mission.
This means we see your unique history as having a value money cannot buy; we believe in the strength of every intersection of race, religion or belief, ethnic origin, different physical ability, family structure, socio-economics, age, nationality or citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity.
⚒️ The nuts and bolts of the role*
* Please do not see everything in this job ad as "must have", but rather a guiding list of what we're looking for. We know that no candidate will be the perfect match for all we've mentioned in this posting, so don't be afraid to apply if you feel you're close to the brief but not "spot on"
- You may be just the right person if others have described you as...
- Empathetic and people-centric
Your previous experience
- We are prioritising attitude, aptitude, and the kind of impact you’ve had over years' experience. With that said, you may be a good fit if you...
- Are comfortable managing 8–12 engineers across a couple of squads/teams
- Have some particular wisdom to bring to the role from your own experience building web-based products
- Know what high performance looks like for engineers in Product teams, and have experience hiring into roles like Web Engineer, iOS Engineer or Backend Engineer.
- Care deeply about building healthy, autonomous teams with clear objectives
- Get satisfaction from achieving things through others – coaching and helping them grow
- Are an authentic, empathetic relationship-builder with loads of ambition!
How we'll measure your success🌟
- We'll know you're doing a great job when we see:
- The career growth of the people you manage
- Happy and effective people and teams – measuring and driving specific team health metrics
- The product teams you manage are setting (and regularly achieving) ambitious goals with tangible business impact
- Really talented and passionate people being hired
- Work with leadership to help connect the product strategy, the technical strategy, and the evolution of the org structure
- Ensure our Product teams have ambitious goals that directly impact company OKRs
- Help develop the hiring strategy for engineers in the Product team
- Work with the People team and other Engineering Managers on the implementation and evolution of our career progression , compensation and performance evaluation frameworks
- Contribute to a diverse engineering and product culture based on customer-centricity, high-quality code, data-driven decisions, technical innovation and autonomy.
- Act as the Hiring Manager for roles in your teams – design and conduct interviews
- Work with other Engineering Managers and Tech Leads to nurture our engineering culture and processes as we grow
- Work directly with Product Managers and Lead Engineers to ensure teams have the people, skills and resources they need.
- Support and manage 8-12 engineers across 2-3 teams — through relationship building, 1:1 coaching, goal setting and feedback.
- Work with Product Managers and Lead Engineers to foster effective, healthy, autonomous teams.
- Empower teams by coaching, sharing business context, translating a sense of purpose, clearing tricky blockers and advocating for their needs.
- You'll report to the Director of Engineering, who will work with you on your progression – aiming to ensure you are happy, challenged and regularly feel like you're doing great work. They'll also help you find training and development opportunities.
- We are still growing, and this is likely to give you progression opportunities early and often. The two clearest paths are to stay close to a team and focus on leadership within a particular area of deep domain or technical expertise — or to develop towards a Senior Engineering Manager / Director of Engineering by developing your management skillset, cross-organisational impact and your experience managing managers.
- In either case, progression is about the scale of the impact you can have. There’s no shortage of opportunity to have an impact at Whereby – on the product, the business, the culture we build, the approach we take to engineering, and on your colleagues.