Are you keen to work somewhere that’s stimulating, friendly, with countless opportunities for growth and plenty of autonomy? This could be it!
We are looking for a Java Engineer here at INSHUR, working on a platform which covers multiple territories, including UK, New York and new European countries and US territories as we expand.
Reporting to the Head of Platform, you'll be joining a friendly team of 5 who believe in developing high quality and scalable solutions. In total we are global team of 80+ people, based in UK, US and The Netherlands, who value:
- Inclusivity, open-mindedness, and diversity
- Freedom to make long-term, high-impact decisions
- Delivering great results and having fun doing it
- The wellbeing of their teammates and the people around them
What you'll do
As a Java Engineer you will be responsible for driving forward the software development cycle, helping to choose the right technologies for the problems and improving the overall architecture and functionality of the platform.
We don’t have a checklist of skills - our recruitment is much more around aptitude and passion so don’t worry if you’ve not used a particular tool or checked off all the skills and experience listed below. However, we think the below would make you successful in this role.
We'd love to hear from you if you:
- Have plenty of experience developing in Java
- Are knowledgeable about modern Java frameworks such as Spring Boot
- Have experience designing and running API based software in containers
- Understand that good communication and collaboration is needed to succeed
- Are passionate about new technologies
- Understand the value of working in scrum teams
- Have ideally worked in a modern orchestration platform such as Kubernetes
Your colleagues say you:
- Are diligent but pragmatic
- Are always supportive and helpful
- Are a self starter who can drive enthusiasm within the team
- Play a part in mentoring, helping and educating colleagues, and on occasion help with recruiting other high performing members of the team.
What we offer
We provide a friendly and stimulating environment for everyone to grow, enjoy and thrive. Our working environment is a hybrid of remote and office based operation, depending on personal circumstances and individual and business needs. We aim to provide an agile and flexible base from which to grow and we are iterating as we go along. We’ve adapted our ways of working, including ‘remote-first’ principles, not merely applying office-based approaches to things like hours, our culture, and how we communicate.
Salaries are reviewed on an annual basis and we offer all our employees stock options. It goes without saying that we offer everyone a choice of laptop, monitor, top of the range kit and any software you need.
We've built a benefits package that invests in our employee’s long-term personal and professional growth and well-being. Here’s a sample of what that includes:
- 30 days of holiday annually in addition to bank holidays
- Private healthcare scheme for you and your family
- 13 weeks full pay parental leave regardless of your gender
- Flexibility to choose your own place of work, and flexible working hours
- Annual training allowance (no questions asked) and regular learning opportunities
- Monthly Flexible Wellbeing Allowance to help you stay healthy and productive
Where possible, we will cross-train and/or focus on what interests you, whether it’s improving your technical skills with books, courses and training or increasing your management abilities.
We are a well-funded business at the forefront of urban mobility and one of the fastest-growing and commercially proven Insurtech companies in the new insurance landscape. Working closely with globally recognised partners we are on a mission to change the way customers buy, and feel, about insurance, for good. Our current product is an insurance app for taxi, TLC, ride-share, private fleet and private hire drivers, enabling them to get from quote to full policy and driving in the shortest possible time with a simple click of a few buttons. Our products are currently live in the US, UK and NL markets and we have exciting plans to expand to new territories and add new lines of product in 2021.
We are based in beautiful Brighton - sea, chips and seagulls included but currently work 100% remote. Post-pandemic we will be likely transitioning to a hybrid office and home-based model with travel to the office at least twice per month.
We believe that having a diverse team, in which everyone can be their authentic self is the key to our success. We encourage people from underrepresented backgrounds to apply and we don't discriminate based on race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, marital status, disability or age. Our office, when open, is dog-, child- and wheelchair-friendly, and we are a family-friendly employer.
While this position is advertised as full-time, we are flexible on the specific arrangements for the right candidate and would be happy to discuss part-time, job-share or other flexible arrangements if required. Let us know in your application if you have accessibility requirements during the interview.
We’re here to change the way you work
You’ll have your own reasons for wanting flexibility. We have ours too.