As a Site Reliability Engineer at Ably, you will report to the Head of Infrastructure and will have responsibility for all aspects of Ably’s infrastructure services. Together, these provide compute capacity, networking, and all ancillary services required to operate the core services and support the complete development cycle for all Ably products and services.
Location: Remote (mainly UK based individual), as travel to our London office will be required periodically.
Working at Ably means helping to build the infrastructure that will power and shape the future of the internet. We enable things like HubSpot’s chat and collaboration products, live scores for millions of Australian Open tennis fans, and real time transit updates for three million Chicagoans. Engineers at some of the largest companies in the world choose Ably because, when it comes down to it, we’re the only platform that dependably delivers on the most demanding realtime requirements at global, production scale.
The opportunity in front of us is immense. Our mission is to become the definitive realtime infrastructure of the internet while powering and accelerating the emerging ecosystem. We’re on track. Today we deliver billions of realtime messages to more than 50 million people across web, mobile, and IoT platforms. But we can’t rest yet. In five years we want to reach one billion people everyday.
To see what life’s like at Ably, check out our careers page at ably.io/careers
What we do
Ably’s engineering team is deeply technical, collectively bringing a wealth of experience and broad technology skills across infrastructure, security, distributed systems, and much more. The calibre of the code we produce is what excites and motivates us each day. If you enjoy solving hard distributed system problems that are mostly platform agnostic and theoretical in nature, then you'll love working at Ably.
In this role
You will report to the Head of Infrastructure and will have responsibility for all aspects of Ably’s infrastructure services. Together, these provide compute capacity, networking, and all ancillary services required to operate the core services and support the complete development cycle for all Ably products and services.
You will be successful if you:
- Have a deep technical understanding of how systems work top-to-bottom and are committed to continuing to advance that understanding
- Enjoy getting your hands dirty, getting things done, and seeing your creations from inception through to production use by consumers’ apps
- Understand the Site Reliability Engineering discipline and are excited by the idea of infrastructure-as-code and no manual maintenance of systems.
- Care about technical excellence in your work and fitness for purpose in your code
- Want to join a team that’s on a mission to provide the best possible service for our customers
You will be expected to participate in an on-call rotation after your onboarding and training phase.
Technical skills needed
Ably is a cloud-native business with infrastructure that is almost wholly cloud-based, and we expect that to remain the case, at least in the near and medium term. Therefore, you must be intimately familiar with operations at scale on public cloud infrastructure, using the full range of functionality from the public cloud providers.
This is not a traditional sysadmin role, we expect software engineering skills. You will be working to support the work of our product engineering teams, so you will need a strong understanding of their pressures and needs. Ably’s infrastructure operations are based currently on internally-developed software for deployment and orchestration, instance management and health monitoring, plus administration of the multiple ancillary systems used to operate the service. Therefore, you need to be a developer first, and have an established record of software development in production systems.
As with all of our developer roles, we strongly prefer candidates that have a track record of working with open source, either with their own projects or contributions to community projects.
Much of our existing infrastructure management code is written in Ruby and Go. We very much would like to see Ruby experience, even if not as a main language, and Go experience is advantageous.
Our infrastructure runs in the public AWS cloud and therefore we need to see in-depth experience of operating production systems in the public cloud, and a detailed understanding of the full range of cloud services we use. Our software runs in large clusters and in AWS regions around the world, so experience with the engineering challenges of large, geographically distributed systems is valuable.
We expect you to be very strong technically in Linux systems administration and networking.
Nice to have skills:
- Containerisation, Docker;
- Orchestration with Kubernetes or similar frameworks;
- Go, Node.js and Bash;
- Experience with CI/CD systems;
- Our team are active open source contributors and are encouraged to do this as part of their role at Ably. We like new team members who enjoy contributing back to the open source community, even if those contributions are small.
What’s it like to work at Ably?
Founded by two engineers who spotted a hard and largely unsolved problem, Ably is, at its heart, an engineering company. To provide the infrastructure required for a high-bandwidth, always-connected world, we hire engineers with a broad set of technical skills who are ready and capable of taking on challenging realtime engineering problems.
As a company and engineering team we’re committed to a future internet that’s open, with all engineers contributing to existing open source projects.
We want to work in a company of inclusive people who treat each other well. As an Ablyan, you’ll enjoy taking ownership and making an impact, with work that is both varied and challenging. And to really thrive at Ably, you’ll need to believe in and be prepared to do your work in line with our values, which are:
- Open For All. Open is a mindset. When open, we’re better collaborators, communicators and creators. Whether open source, standards, or protocols, open hearts, minds, and eyes. It’s better when it’s open.
- Bias For Action. We avoid analysis paralysis at all costs. We lean into doing in order to move us forward. When we have enough of what we need to act, we act.
- Even The Best Do Better. We want to be the best - but that doesn’t mean we rest when we are. Improvement and growth - true betterment - is an ongoing journey. One fuelled by curiosity and taking risks.
- Technology Needs Humanity. Our technology means little without people - whether that’s how we treat our colleagues, or how we design developer experiences. Being human matters.
- Dependable People Make Dependable Things. Dependability is integral to our mission and technology, but being dependable starts with our people. When we care enough to take real ownership of our products and problems - all else will follow.
What’s in it for you?
- A good, competitive salary
- A great company culture
- Share options
- A remote first company. Unless you want to pop into our communal office space in Shoreditch, you'll work from home most of the time, apart from when we have planning sessions and summits.
- Health insurance, including Doctor@Hand
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Wellness benefit
- Regular company away days and social events
- Weekly team drinks and snacks
- Ongoing professional development (training, events, conferences)
- Charity volunteer day
- 25 days of paid annual leave (33 days including bank holidays)
- Company contributions towards your pension
If you enjoy working as part of a technology company, value open source, and love solving hard problems - then we’d love to hear from you, regardless of whether you fit the spec exactly or not. If in doubt, drop us an email; we’d be more than happy to give you some advice on your application.