At Memrise, we’re now looking for an Engineering Manager to lead the Memrise Mobile Engineering Team in creating the world’s best language learning app. We have a small, very talented team and a serious commitment to pushing the boundaries of what a language learning app can do, and that’s where you come in.
At Memrise, we’re working on building the world’s most entertaining and effective language-learning product. We’ve combined cognitive science, powerful tech and entertaining content, to create a truly recreational, and fast, learning system that is used by over 42 million people globally. We’re exceptionally humbled to have been recognised for our hard work and dedication to transforming the way the world learns languages - our app is highly rated and regularly featured on both Google Play and the App store and we’re one of the top go-to developer partners when they launch new features on iOS and Android.
We’re now looking for an Engineering Manager to lead the Memrise Mobile Engineering Team in creating the world’s best language learning app. We have a small, very talented team and a serious commitment to pushing the boundaries of what a language learning app can do, and that’s where you come in.
We have big plans for development in new areas of the product in 2020. We aren’t sitting still with what we have – we’re developing entirely new concepts that will immerse our users in language and allow them to communicate with each other.
In this role you’ll:
- Line manage our 10 iOS and Android engineers
- Ensure effective delivery of mobile projects in the mobile engineering teams
- Facilitate the development and execution of mobile technical strategy
- Cultivate a bold, empathetic, and playful product engineering culture
We’re looking for someone with:
- Solid commercial development experience with either iOS or Android (or both)
- Experience running delivery of a product focused engineering team
- Experience running teams in fast-paced consumer startups
- Ability to effectively line manage a team of 10 people
- Ability to raise the bar for performance of an existing team
- Ability to foster a team culture of continuous improvement through regular, actionable retrospectives
- Ability to design and implement processes where they are needed
- Ability to effectively delegate technical and delivery responsibilities
- Ability to drive key technical projects to completion
- Strong technical and organisational mentoring and coaching skills
What’s it like being an engineer at Memrise?
Memrise has a diverse, harmonious, humble engineering team. Our engineers are creative generalists who work autonomously in product-oriented cross-functional teams. We're a dynamic team that cares deeply about ownership, impact and people over processes. We run hackathons every quarter; some of our prominent features were originally creative hacks.
We have smooth, refined user interfaces to build that our users will adore; a fun, varied game-like core to our experience, which we’re iterating playfully; and the challenges of meeting the needs of millions of users per day from across the world. We’re fans of keeping things as simple as possible and being open minded about new ideas and new technologies.
If you aren’t completely confident that you fit our exact criteria, please get in touch nevertheless. Humility is a wonderful thing and we’re not interested in hiring ‘rockstars’ or ‘ninjas’. And we're just as interested in character as in talent.
NOTE: In light of the coronavirus (COVID-19) and to protect our candidates’ and interviewers’ health and wellbeing, we will be conducting all interviews virtually via Google Hangout for the foreseeable future.
- Share options, so you can retire on an island
- Generous Learning and Development budget for training, conferences, books and L&D leave
- Flexible working options
- Private health insurance with Vitality, and related perks (50% off a Virgin and Nuffield Health Gym memberships)
- Dental Insurance with Unum
- Quarterly hackathons
- Breakfast (the most important meal of the day)
- Snacks (the most enjoyable meal of the day)
- A startup-suitable array of teas and coffees
- Bi-weekly team lunch with Feastly
- Language classes with in-office tutors
- Pet friendly office and pet-petting colleagues
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- And plenty more fun you’re welcome to ignore, including: dodgeball, meditation, football, running club, board games, and boxing classes
We’re an equal opportunity employer. If it’s okay, we’re not going to list examples of people and groups we don’t discriminate against. We don’t discriminate, full stop. We celebrate.
About the company
The fastest way to learn a language
3-5 Fashion Street