3–4 days per week at home
Core hours 11 - 3
11:FS is on a mission to change the fabric of financial services. Our Ventures practice builds challenger propositions globally, like we did for Natwest with Mettle. Our Pulse team creates a benchmarking tool used by the likes of Monzo, Starling, Natwest and Tesco Bank. Our Foundry team are delivering a Financial Services Operating System to help businesses quickly add financial services to their offering. On top of all of that, we’re a media company, our Growth team generate a stream of content that supports our brand and changes the conversation - not necessarily in that order.
To do this we need an amazing team so we have pulled together the best in financial services and beyond.
We truly live our values at 11:FS, and they are critical to your entire journey here. ‘Cultural Add’ is as, if not more, important as pure technical fit, and as part of your interview process we’ll deep dive in our values and your beliefs. Everyone at 11:FS fits our 4 core values: Team, Attitude, Communication and Impact, and this remains at the core of our growth.
We are looking for Senior Kotlin/Java engineers to work on one of our software delivery projects. You will be working with our existing engineering and architecture team on a new customer project, working to integrate their backend services with new capabilities and supporting a new mobile app.
What you'll be doing
Your focus will be on server-side engineering, designing and building performant cloud-native microservices with clean APIs, most likely on one of our client engagements. We encourage ownership, and we’ll also expect you to develop ‘T-shaped’ skills, working with your team to what’s needed to deliver to the client. We don’t like organisational silos, and you’ll be working closely with product, designers and other experts in their fields. You may also need to perform rapid prototyping, ‘spiking out’ quick and dirty software in order to demonstrate a concept before turning it into something more ‘production-like’. You should also understand good software component design, and be able to identify where we can create reusable ‘building blocks’ to accelerate our engagements.
We’re believers in autonomous teams and iterative development. We’re crazy about continuous improvement and knowledge sharing, and we want people who share our enthusiasm. We know that building high performance, highly scalable, always available, fault tolerant systems is a team game and so we want to know that you play well with others. Lone geniuses are brilliant - just not for us.
Your technical skills
- You have been building services and applications at a senior level on the JVM - likely as a Java developer, and exploring Kotlin more recently.
- You’re familiar with microservice architectures, and you’ve built and deployed containerised services to Cloud-based orchestration layers and platforms.
- You’re familiar with the Spring framework.
- You’re familiar with TDD, you know what a good unit test looks like, and you can write tests across the test pyramid
- You’ve used GraphQL to implement well-designed APIs, and you also know what a good RESTful API looks like
- Applying cyber security best practices
- You work agile and iterative, in a way that works for you and your team. You are adept at slicing your work to deliver small and often
- You’re a team player, able to function as part of a team of talented senior people, and lead when appropriate.
- You thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial, high-energy environment
- You’re a self-starter who knows how to commit and deliver
- You can be flexible and pragmatic with technology decisions, making appropriate tradeoffs to deliver.
- You’re aware of the bigger picture, continuously thinking holistically about what the team is delivering, and how it can be improved.
- You are personable, and have excellent communication skills
- We value strong views, loosely held, so you’ll be passionate in your opinion, but okay to relinquish or modify it.
- You have a desire to always improve and learn new things
- 🏠. Flexible working - you choose how and where you work!
- 🌎 Work anywhere in the world for up to 90 days a year
- 🩺 Private Medical Insurance - top tier cover
- 🌴 25 days annual leave plus Christmas shutdown
- 🎂 Birthday day off (or your child’s/partner’s)
- 🕒 Friday 3pm “Me Time” all year around!
- 🤑 Discretionary profit share (11:Reward)
- 💰 Pension
- 📚 L&D budget
- 🏥 Income protection & life insurance
- 💻 Advanced tech & Macbooks!
- 👶 Enhanced maternity, paternity & adoption leave
- 🎉 Various surprise and delights & socials throughout the year
We strongly encourage people of colour, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and non-binary people, parents, and individuals with disabilities to apply. 11:FS is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes everyone to our team. If you need reasonable adjustments at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.
In your application, please feel free to note which pronouns you use (For example - she/her/hers, he/him/his, they/them/theirs, etc).